Clark Original Whistle Models over the years

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
cavefish
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Re: Clark Original Whistle Models over the years

Post by cavefish »

I wish they made more keys I love those whistles
Choose you this day, whom ye shall serve
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

nicx66 wrote:I have a pre-war Clarke in 'F' that is marked 'R. CLARKE' punched into the tin, no paint.
There's an R.Clarke C sitting on ebay at the minute. Price of sending with ebay Global Shipping Program is prohiobitive for me but you may feel differently, so there you have it.

My brain hurts

Tyler DelGregg
Tell us something.: Whistles are fun, whistles are charming, whistles sound nice, whistles are affordable, whistles make us smile, whistles make dogs bark, and whistles upset some neighbors.

Post by Tyler DelGregg »

I've had an on again, off again relationship with Clarke Originals, which ended up being mostly off because of my heavy handed attempts at tweaking them. Recently, I bought another Clarke C, the black with the gold diamond version. This one was a winner right out of the box. For one, the black paint "feels" thicker and the tin-work around the block seems to be a tighter fit. It actually takes less wind and is more focused. I wonder if Clarke made some changes. So naturally, I ordered another one. And the whistle buying resumes...... :puppyeyes: Ofcourse, I will have to reduce my booze consumption a little to pay for the new acquisitions.
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

Tyler DelGregg wrote:Of course, I will have to reduce my booze consumption a little to pay for the new acquisitions.
You think... :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdWjChQ ... adio=1&t=0
Tyler DelGregg
Tell us something.: Whistles are fun, whistles are charming, whistles sound nice, whistles are affordable, whistles make us smile, whistles make dogs bark, and whistles upset some neighbors.

Post by Tyler DelGregg »

ytliek wrote:
Tyler DelGregg wrote:Of course, I will have to reduce my booze consumption a little to pay for the new acquisitions.
You think... :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdWjChQ ... adio=1&t=0
I suppose I could get a Copeland if I didn't drink for a year... can't do it :cry:
AuLoS303
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Post by AuLoS303 »

Tyler DelGregg wrote:. Recently, I bought another Clarke C, the black with the gold diamond version. This one was a winner right out of the box. For one, the black paint "feels" thicker and the tin-work around the block seems to be a tighter fit. It actually takes less wind and is more focused. I wonder if Clarke made some changes.
I fancy one of those myself. I imagine a whistle with a wooden block would sound quite different to a conventional whistle. I'm itching to find out but I'm skint now
You can play beautiful music on an ugly flute
My musical endeavours on my blog
Tyler DelGregg

Post by Tyler DelGregg »

AuLoS303 wrote:
Tyler DelGregg wrote:. Recently, I bought another Clarke C, the black with the gold diamond version. This one was a winner right out of the box. For one, the black paint "feels" thicker and the tin-work around the block seems to be a tighter fit. It actually takes less wind and is more focused. I wonder if Clarke made some changes.
I fancy one of those myself. I imagine a whistle with a wooden block would sound quite different to a conventional whistle. I'm itching to find out but I'm skint now
The Clarke Original is one of those whistles that people tend to really like or dislike. It has its unique quirks that I like. For one, I like its tone. Considering it's the grandfather of the various "modern" whistles that evolved over time, it's a good whistle to have. It does produce a sound that was probably heard as far back as the 1840s. There was a recent video on the current production of the Clarke Original which I can't seem to locate. It really is an interesting process. It made me appreciate the apparent care that goes into each one because of the insertion of the wooden blocks. The gaudy black paint and gold diamond patterns along the holes give it a festive, folksy look. It was destined to go extinct, I believe, until Bill Ochs saved it back in the 70s, which in itself is a fascinating story.
AuLoS303
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Post by AuLoS303 »

Tyler DelGregg wrote:.

The Clarke Original is one of those whistles that people tend to really like or dislike. It has its unique quirks that I like. For one, I like its tone. Considering it's the grandfather of the various "modern" whistles that evolved over time, it's a good whistle to have. It does produce a sound that was probably heard as far back as the 1840s. There was a recent video on the current production of the Clarke Original which I can't seem to locate. It really is an interesting process. It made me appreciate the apparent care that goes into each one because of the insertion of the wooden blocks. The gaudy black paint and gold diamond patterns along the holes give it a festive, folksy look. It was destined to go extinct, I believe, until Bill Ochs saved it back in the 70s, which in itself is a fascinating story.
I really want one now!
You can play beautiful music on an ugly flute
My musical endeavours on my blog