Small Hands Big Whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Ségnat
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I stumbled across the forum because I was trying to figure out something about how my Lochlan low D whistle was made.

Small Hands Big Whistle

Post by Ségnat »

I have a Lochlan low whistle. It was made by a Greg Russell from Newfoundland who I think might even be in this forum. Anyway I kind of touched on this in my other post, but I wanted to pull it out.

I know about the pipers grip and all that, but I've seen people with small hands playing Low D's on YouTube and I really want to be able to figure this whistle out if I can? Does anyone have any tips?
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Re: Small Hands Big Whistle

Post by fatmac »

It will be mainly down to practice, I have reasonable sized hand, but I couldn't cover the stretch at first, some gentle hand stretches helped me to finally be able to play them.
You could, of course, use your little finger, there's nothing against it, just not the regular way, but if it allows you to play it, why not. :)
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Post by Narzog »

Also theres no one 'right' position for your hands. Try rotating your hands a bit and moving them in or out (towards or away from the whistle) to find the best position. But what you find as your initial favorite position may change with practice.
Ségnat
Tell us something.: I stumbled across the forum because I was trying to figure out something about how my Lochlan low D whistle was made.

Post by Ségnat »

Unfortunately this whistle kind of just forces a certain position for me because I have to play so far down on my fingers so they actually cover the holes. So I can't do much adjusting.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

It’s difficult to offer suggestions without being able to see how you’re currently attempting to hold the whistle. If you could post a photo you’d likely additional helpful responses.

Also, many people won’t know what the hole sizes and spacing are on that particular whistle, or the size of your hands and fingers in relation to those factors. As someone who also has small hands, I can say from experience, all those details matter. For example I have run across a few low D’s that had one or more tone holes that were wider than I could seal with my narrowish fingers.

Bottom line, it might be that you can make some changes to your grip and the problem will be solved, or it could be that you’re going to need a whistle with smaller holes and/or a close hole spacing. The more info you can provide, the more help folks here may be able to provide.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

You also don't necessarily need to hold the whistle completely vertically. Sometimes, tilting a little toward your lower hand can make the reach easier.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
whistlecollector

Post by whistlecollector »

You could consider adding a key or two! There is a whistle maker in New Zealand (name escapes me at the moment, but does sell on Ebay) who makes nice & functional plastic keys for low whistles.

They're the sort of things you could make yourself if you're at all handy with basic tools.
-- A tin whistle a day keeps the racketts at bay.

-- WhOAD Survivor No. 11373
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

whistlecollector

Post by whistlecollector »

That's the one indeed! I have one of his keys. Comfortable, well designed & executed, good functionality with the obvious caveats.
-- A tin whistle a day keeps the racketts at bay.

-- WhOAD Survivor No. 11373
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Susato makes Low Ds with keys so anybody can play them fine no matter how small their hands.

This is the best video I've seen demonstrating how they play, and work, from a fine Japanese whistleplayer.

He demonstrates Susato Low Ds with no keys, one key, and two keys, the pros and cons of finger-reach and how the keys impact traditional Irish ornamentation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JESWb8Xnmoc&t=169s
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle