It is currently Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:33 pm 

pancelticpiper wrote:
facet wrote:
A while back Generation made some upgrades. I’ve no idea what all has changed, but the whistle labeling is different. https://tinyurl.com/y3apyjtp

If you want the latest production, Big Whistle currently has them in stock. The new Gen Bb I just received is a keeper. https://tinyurl.com/y5ugzdak

That's very interesting. As we know the old molds wear out and from time to time Generation has had to replace them.

About the comparison video, the problem with those was driven home to me when I made a couple of them. On one of the videos I played four Low Ds which were quite different from each other to play, and in person had distinct sounds. However in the video they all sounded alike.

The other issue is the variability of Generations in general. From a single straight-from-the-factory box of 24 Generation Ds I could have picked out a superb one, an OK one, or one that just made squeaking noises.

I will say that when that guy switched from the new Generation D to the old Generation C it sure seemed like he was overblowing the C, pushing so hard the notes were starting to break up. You can overblow any whistle and make it sound rough and squeaky.

During early June, I bought a Generation Bb nickel with the "Made in England" label which is the latest model. A few weeks later, I bought the brass version and that came with the "British Made" label. They both play well, but out of curiosity, I ordered a brass D last week. We'll see what turns up.