Loosen Generation, Oak, Feadog, Walton, etc fipple

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ElementalWhistle
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am looking forward to learning more about whistles and sessions and tunes and this looked like a positive community and great resource.

Loosen Generation, Oak, Feadog, Walton, etc fipple

Post by ElementalWhistle »

I've searched "fipple tweak" and "loose fipple" etc. and found brilliant minds at work regarding tweaking etc. I'd just like to be able to loosen my Generation D, Bb, C, etc. fipples safely, so that I can tune them (and maybe tweak if the desire strikes in the future). Without them cracking. Can someone point me in the direction of a previous thread that addresses this and or provide simple directions for me here?
Cheers
TxWhistler
Tell us something.: I have recently retired and have always wanted to learn to play a musical instrument. I'm leaning to play the whistle and now the flute.

Re: Loosen Generation, Oak, Feadog, Walton, etc fipple

Post by TxWhistler »

Hoping I understand what you are asking:

Here is how I was able to loosen the head on my Generation Bb, I just ran the water from the kitchen tap until it became hot and then held the head under the hot water stream for about 10-15 seconds. Then carefully twisted the head and it easily came loose.

I've read that you don't need boiling water, just hot tap water. Getting the head too hot could cause it to deform.
swizzlestick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by swizzlestick »

You are right that it's come up before. I like the Joannie Madden Smackdown Method that Jerry Freeman offered in the thread below. Many other suggestions there too.

viewtopic.php?p=1065278
All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out. -- Mark Twain
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

On many whistles the head isn't even glued. Often a little twist is all that's needed. On the others I use the "smack down" method. Insert whistle in one that is slightly larger and simply let it fall into it. Often that's all that's needs to knock the head loose and then you twist it off.