ABBOT

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Michael w6
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have played bagpipes for several years. Open heart surgery in 2014 took me out for several months and I have not yet returned. I have begun to pursue the penny whistle instead. I'm looking for advice and friends in this new instrument.

ABBOT

Post by Michael w6 »

I'm learning "Abbot Bromley's Horn Dance" and I'm very taken my its mood. Suggestions for other tunes in the same mood?
A moment of carelessness, a lifetime of regret.
A lifetime of carelessness, a moment of regret.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: ABBOT

Post by benhall.1 »

I generally play this one with The Abbot's Bromley Horn Dance. I'm afraid I don't have a name. I learnt it from Peter Kennedy. He played the Abbot's Bromley Horn Dance a few times, then this one a few times, and then back into the Abbot's Bromley Horn Dance. It works a treat.

pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

This guy plays the tune over and over, it's a bit hypnotic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USqtfL0mDbM

If I was going to pair it with another tune it would probably be this one. It's in the same "groove" and has the same mood

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMUzZZRNKlE
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by david_h »

You could try Upon a Summer's Day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5zRdqwVZkE

https://www.folktunefinder.com/tunes?te ... mers%20day

I like Leveret's less elephantine rhythm for Abbot's Bromley Horn Dance. Mind out that they vary the melody quite a bit.

Ben: What key(s) do you play the two tunes in?
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

david_h wrote:Ben: What key(s) do you play the two tunes in?
D minor for both, as in the sheet music above.

If I was playing them on a whistle, I'd pick up a C whistle. For flute, they're not too bad on an ordinary, keyed, simple system, D flute. There's some octave folding to be done, of course.
david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by david_h »

benhall.1 wrote:If I was playing them on a whistle, I'd pick up a C whistle.
So would you suggest that Michael w6 uses sheet music in E minor?
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

david_h wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:If I was playing them on a whistle, I'd pick up a C whistle.
So would you suggest that Michael w6 uses sheet music in E minor?
I guess so. Sometimes I forget to think of these things.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

benhall.1 wrote: I'd pick up a C whistle... There's some octave folding to be done, of course.
For D minor tunes with low notes I pick up a mezzo G whistle, you have the same range as the fiddle, no folding needed.

You finger the tunes in A minor, they come out in D minor.

I've had to use the G whistle quite a bit for D minor tunes, due to fiddlers sometimes dropping A minor tunes down a string.

I used to play with a guy who did that quite a bit, he preferred sitting on the D string rather than the A string.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

pancelticpiper wrote:
benhall.1 wrote: I'd pick up a C whistle... There's some octave folding to be done, of course.
For D minor tunes with low notes I pick up a mezzo G whistle, you have the same range as the fiddle, no folding needed.
True. I haven't got a G mezzo whistle. At least, I don't think I have ...

pancelticpiper wrote:I've had to use the G whistle quite a bit for D minor tunes, due to fiddlers sometimes dropping A minor tunes down a string.

I used to play with a guy who did that quite a bit, he preferred sitting on the D string rather than the A string.
OK. Interesting. When I'm playing fiddle, I don't usually do that. Apart from anything else, if you stick to A, you have the option of playing it an octave lower for variety. I like that.