New Whistle: Kerry Whistles Busker D

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
RoberTunes
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am a flute, guitar, keyboard + whistle player learning about quality whistles, musical possibilities and playing techniques. I've recorded a CD of my own music and am creating music for kids.

Re: New Whistle: Kerry Whistles Busker D

Post by RoberTunes »

ecadre wrote:
PB+J wrote:
Sedi wrote:The "wwg1" beneath one of his blog posts, which is used by the supporters of QAnon.
Edit: I checked again and he has now removed it from the post.
...................... and this would be a rather odd way to start doing it. It's not even the full initialism.
"rather odd" is an understatement. I think it's invalid to tag anyone with that association, if only given such a very vague hint to suggest anything. All I've seen out of the Kerry Whistle camp is professionalism.
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

Last edited by Sedi on Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

We used to go regularly, with our daughter, to Comet ping pong, in DC. if you don’t know about it just google it. It could have ended really horribly. They are still bleating nonsense about it..

As far as I’m concerned, the QAnon stuff is no laughing matter. It’s an existential crisis for those of us who believe in empirical reality.

Maybe I’ll drop him an email and ask about it
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

Last edited by Sedi on Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

4: Politics and religion

We’ve tried. It hasn’t worked here on the Board, so please don’t post on these subjects hereabouts. A hardy group - members of this board and a scattering of former members - participate in an external forum which is pretty much for Chiff & Fipple folks who want to talk politics and religion. We're grateful for it and are happy to provide a link:

http://cnfpoli.informe.com/

OK now that we're reminded of the rule this thread has been breaking for two pages, let's talk about whistles.

I played some of those original big-bore Kerry high D whistles back when they were new and they embodied pretty much everything I don't like in High Whistles.

When I did have to do some street playing with a group I used an old Susato High D. It wouldn't be my choice for ordinary playing, but for the street it worked well, being quite loud.

Good point about the wind, happily we didn't encounter that. If I had to play out in the wind I don't know what I would do, other than switch to flute (far more wind resistant) or pipes (completely wind-resistant).
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Sedi
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

I don't own a Kildare but just an Oriole and the 2nd octave is not much easier on the Oriole compared to my "mezzo D" Thunderbird. Both require some push for the 2nd octave. I still like them if it wasn't for the volume which is a bit too much for me. Outside is a different matter however. But I mostly play indoors (don't wanna bother the neighbours).
From what Phil Hardy said in the video, it seems the "Busker" is a bit less loud than the old mezzo D, I assume. Might be just right.
bigsciota

Post by bigsciota »

I specifically didn't mention the potential meaning of the initialism because I didn't want to run afoul of the rules, and was hoping that there was a more benign explanation for it ("Whistlers Want Good 1[st octaves]" maybe?).

As for the whistle itself, I've got a Chieftain high D non-tunable from a couple years ago. Sounds nice, but very, very loud and takes a good bit of air. I have played it out busking, and it might suit an outdoor session, but I wouldn't want to be sitting next to someone playing the 2nd octave on it indoors! Probably won't go in for the new Busker because I have this one (although I've been thinking of selling it), but if someone is looking for a loud whistle with a very powerful 1st octave I'd definitely recommend it. It's also a good workout for the lungs!
ElementalWhistle
Tell us something.: I am looking forward to learning more about whistles and sessions and tunes and this looked like a positive community and great resource.

Post by ElementalWhistle »

They announced Busker Custom High D blackwood.

https://www.kerrywhistles.com/post/busk ... om-high-ds

Thoughts? Impressions? Has Kerry company had significant enough experience to produce quality high D wooden whistles?
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

The previous Chieftain high D customs had Roy McManus bodies and I'd expect something the same or similar again.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
1MoreWhistle
Tell us something.: Hello, I'm learning low whistle, and I'd like to be able to access the huge amount of expertise and helpful info on this forum.
Thanks and slainte mhath!
Alison

Post by 1MoreWhistle »

Hey, has anyone managed to buy one of the Busker Custom High D whistles?

I emailed Phil shortly after receiving his newsletter yesterday to say I am interested in buying...have had no reply as yet.

There were only 10 made, probably all gone already!
psoutowood
Tell us something.: I am a longtime piper, and have added in the few years a bunch of Irish whistles and smallpipes to my collection. Looking for new instruments and like-minded people!

Post by psoutowood »

I've got a Thunderbird high C that has loads of volume and you have to absolutely blast it to get the high b and c. In contrast my Bb Thunderbird is softer and airy with well balanced octaves. I love them both.

On clogging, I noticed that Phil's aluminum heads have a taller and narrower windway than my Goldie whistles, which I think helps prevent clogging. Only my Goldie mezzo A clogs and the windway is super short so any beaded moisture causes issues. But boy it sounds lovely.

For busking I'd go with a Thunderbird or this "busker" whistle and would bet it performs just fine. A big high D is going to cut through street noise pretty well regardless of make and with good air volume I wonder if that would help with cutting out on a windy day?

-Peter