A good high D for loud sessions

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
brianormond
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: A good high D for loud sessions

Post by brianormond »

-For sheer volume across the board: Silkstone alloy D+ (assuming plain Silkstone Alloy D is similarly loud) could match most anything short of a weed whacker- and maybe that too. Playing this is an exercise in sonic authority, so mind yer manners playing with others and consider leaving some volume in reserve. Tone is cleaner than than that of Susato standard D.
-Silkstone maker Paul Hayward has passed on, R.I.P.. -Used Silkstone whistles may come up for sale on occasion. Silkstones were also offered in pvc I think but I have no experience with the pvc variants.

-Have to agree Susato standard bore D whistles are quite loud- and seemingly indestructible plus affordable.
Tone has more burr than a Silkstone and (subjectively) less cut.

-Not in D but also fairly loud: Water Weasel Bb- Takes a bit of air but plays well in tune with a pleasing, mild burr. -From another maker passed on, Glenn Schultz, R.I.P..

-Dixon high D in brass: Fairly loud but not as much as the Silkstone alloy, has the “whistliest” sound I’ve heard outside of a Generation high D- but better build. I was skeptical of Dixons until this one- then took it to the checkstand pronto.
pancelticpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

At this moment the "loud High D" and "preventing tinnitus" threads are side-by-side. Just saying.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Pete D.
Tell us something.: I do not practice enough. As a result, I remain a beginner despite years of playing. I was a student of the late Bill Ochs for years. Made good progress. Since his death, I have regressed. I will be registering for class this Fall term at the Irish Arts Center in NYC.

Post by Pete D. »

It has been a while since I posted. Let me share an anecdote about my experience with a Chieftain high D. I am always looking at new whistles and, at the time, I did not own any Chieftain whistles. So, wanting an aluminum whistle, I bought one. I could not play it in my apartment. It was too loud unless no one in the building was home. I took it with me to a lesson. My tutor at the time was the late Bill Ochs. Lessons were in his shotgun apartment W46th. “Bill”, I said, “I just picked this up. What do you think about it?”
He took it and started to play a tune. A few bars in he stopped. “Well”, he said, “that’s a lease breaker.” It was and is very loud and quite bright. Uses a lot of air.
RoberTunes
Tell us something.: I am a flute, guitar, keyboard + whistle player learning about quality whistles, musical possibilities and playing techniques. I've recorded a CD of my own music and am creating music for kids.

Post by RoberTunes »

Pete D. wrote: Let me share an anecdote about my experience with a Chieftain high D. “Well”, he said, “that’s a lease breaker.” It was and is very loud and quite bright. Uses a lot of air.
I liked what I saw of that whistle online. I like the expressive whistles, but not sure how "loud" they have to be to do that.

I'm looking forward to a CD entitled, "The Alumashreaks, Live At The Bellows", featuring songs like
The Ship's Whistle Polka
Trains, Planes and Maximum Gain
Heard You Yesterday
War Zone Meditation
The Girl From Krakatoa
Godzilla's Tea Kettle
Please Repeat That
Fly In The Trumpet
The Mason's JackHammer
Tell All The Drummers YES!
Strength In Numbers (Above 10)
I Really Don't Understand