TUNING SLIDE

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Michael w6
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have played bagpipes for several years. Open heart surgery in 2014 took me out for several months and I have not yet returned. I have begun to pursue the penny whistle instead. I'm looking for advice and friends in this new instrument.

TUNING SLIDE

Post by Michael w6 »

I read somewhere, forget the source, that one should apply a dab of lubricant such as cork grease, to a whistle's tuning slide once a month or so. Is this a common practice?
A moment of carelessness, a lifetime of regret.
A lifetime of carelessness, a moment of regret.
RoberTunes
Tell us something.: I am a flute, guitar, keyboard + whistle player learning about quality whistles, musical possibilities and playing techniques. I've recorded a CD of my own music and am creating music for kids.

Re: TUNING SLIDE

Post by RoberTunes »

The first "source" I'd pay attention to, is the manufacturer. There are a variety of materials and designs used for the slide section of a whistle, and different materials require different types of maintenance. O-rings, synthetic wrap, brass slide, cork, etc., they should all only get exactly what the manufacturer recommends.

If you can't get a response out of a manufacturer for any reason, determine what the slide material is made of and if you can find another model of whistle with the same material being used, contact that manufacturer.
facet
Tell us something.: A whistle will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no whistle.

Post by facet »

Slides….

Metal against metal: Petroleum-based grease
Metal against o-ring: Silicone grease
Metal against plastic: Silicone grease
Plastic against plastic: Silicone grease, or a smear of beeswax
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Most of my Low Whistles have a metal tenon and metal socket but there's an intentional gap there for Teflon plumber's tape, or waxed thread if you prefer. These require no maintenance.

I very much prefer this sort of tuning slide over the type with rubber O-rings like Burke and Susato.

I find that I have to take apart and lubricate Burkes on a fairly regular basis or they'll seize up.

I'm spoiled a bit by the tenon-and-socket joints on bagpipes, which have waxed "hemp" wrapped around the tenons. If you do a good hemping job the joint will work fine for years with no maintenance.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
facet
Tell us something.: A whistle will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no whistle.

Post by facet »

pancelticpiper wrote:...I find that I have to take apart and lubricate Burkes on a fairly regular basis or they'll seize up...
Try Sil-Glyde on the Burkes https://tinyurl.com/yaysoacb