It is currently Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:27 pm 

I remembered that I recorded a tune with my O'Brien "narrow brass" once. And I just played it for some time this evening. I think it is a lovely whistle. Has a slightly higher backpressure than a Generation or Feadóg and therefore can be "pushed" a bit more. But the octaves are very nicely balanced and it still has that nimble action and is highly responsive. It never gets shrill and there is no breaking of notes, which can happen even on the best Generations that I own. I think mine is an older version and the mouthpiece has since been slightly updated. The mouthpiece is definitely top-notch. It looks like it's one piece even though it isn't. But the pieces are fit together seamlessly. I like it quite a lot. Here is how it sounds (excuse my mediocre playing).
https://youtu.be/ZeUe4asK2ZI

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:13 pm 

pancelticpiper wrote:
I will second the recommendation of Jon Sindt whistles!

Do you happen to know where you can actually look at them? Does he have a website? For all the googling I can't seem to find anything selling directly from him.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:50 pm 

I thought I would mention, because of a previous post in this thread, that the rosewood I offer is not subject to the CITES ban. It is not a true "Dalbergia" rosewood, like African blackwood (grenadilla). It is also called morado. I'm running quite low on it, though, so if you're interested, act now!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:34 pm 

It's me again, with another clarification. I think the whistle he got second hand is not my original narrow bore brass, which was made from thick-walled tubing. The way he described it sounds like a D/C set that I made a few of, in the two-piece style of a Clare whistle. I couldn't think of a catchy name, so it never made it onto my website. So if anyone is interested, I'll sell a set to the first suggester of a name I like, at half price. (C$80)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:00 pm 

Yes, it is indeed the C/D-set in a nice cloth bag. Lovely whistle(s).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:13 am 

deenyo wrote:
Do you happen to know where you can actually look at them? Does he have a website? For all the googling I can't seem to find anything selling directly from him.

I found out about Sindt whistles from a fellow musician who has them in quite a few different keys. I was very impressed, and on the Used Instrument Exchange here on C&F I picked up Sindts in D, C, B, Bb, and A.

I've never dealt directly with Jon.

Goldie Low D whistle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:19 am 

Quote:
Do you happen to know where you can actually look at them? Does he have a website? For all the googling I can't seem to find anything selling directly from him

You send him an email (at sindtwhistle@aol.com) to order and at some point your whistle will arrive with an invoice. I don't think he needs any advertising or marketing effort.

FWIW, there's a Busman on offer on the used instrument forum.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:24 pm 

My 2c as a wind instrument novice lol.

Theres a line. If your instrument is too cheap it might just not be worth playing. And good ones can be easier to play. But otherwise cheap instruments are fine for learning on. My first wind instrument was a flute from serenity flues, low F. $30 shipped, hand made. To this day I still cant get it to play in second octave even close to well lol. This is your too fishy to learn on one. Next I got a clark sweet tone. Not a big fan of high d's, when your playing it feels so much higher and louder than it does on mixed recordings. But it plays fine otherwise, was like $10 on amazon. then I got a generation Bb. Plays very nice. My last whistle has been a Feadog C, the one I play the most. Something about it feels like it has more soul than the generation, breath effects the notes more. Maybe this helps cover up my bad playing.

For flutes I also have a Cecilio western flute and a Dixon 1 piece. The Cecilio plays much easier than the Dixon. I'd like to play a Seery or M&E to see how much nicer they are but where I live theres no way to go try them.

My playing has improved over time. The important thing to note is that when I started I blamed my instruments, got another, repeat. But now that my playing is less bad I can play any of them and not think they are that bad, minus the bamboo one. Which is a very questionable instrument. So as long as you get something that isnt supposed to suck, its probably not the problem. Just try to stick with it and you will probobly end up making it work out. That being said if you know you are interested theres no shame in skipping budget things and getting something nice.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:04 pm 

O'Brien wrote:
It's me again, with another clarification. I think the whistle he got second hand is not my original narrow bore brass, which was made from thick-walled tubing. The way he described it sounds like a D/C set that I made a few of, in the two-piece style of a Clare whistle. I couldn't think of a catchy name, so it never made it onto my website. So if anyone is interested, I'll sell a set to the first suggester of a name I like, at half price. (C$80)

Since the whistle I have, and love, of yours is a rover, and you also list a rambler, maybe go with a Gypsy/Rover inspired name. Call the double-set the Vardo, the name for the traditional Gypsy wagon or the Sulky after the cart version.

-Nathan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:26 am 

I look at if like this, a top quality instrument can cost 1500-15000$ Or more, so id recommend buying a few top quality whistles Spend 1000 bucks and sell the ones you are not so fond of.
Personally i play a C whistle mostly.
I prefer olivier bouchards brass and boxwood whistles. And Burke. OB i have Eb,d, c b and A , burke d and low G
Different keys are a valuable addition for any professional musician.

Heres a few tunes round a table, first three sets;

http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/werty
http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/jigs-willie
http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/jigs

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:00 am 

Yes two things about trying various makes of whistles

1) whistles are incredibly inexpensive compared to most instruments.

2) if you buy an instrument used you can try it as long as you like, and if you decide you don't want it you can sell it for the same about you bought it for.

Since there's no difference in value between, say, a 5 year old instrument and a 6 year old instrument, you get a year free rental.

Sometimes the value of instruments actually go up a bit, perhaps due to the maker getting a long wait list or retiring from making.

When I really got into Low Whistles several years ago I probably bought 40 or so Low D Whistles. I have one now.

Goldie Low D whistle