Questions about intro vs pro and how to choose.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
PlanxtyPipes
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Flute, whistle, and (beginner) fiddle player! I live in the Charlotte, NC area and love Irish Traditional Music.

Re: Questions about intro vs pro and how to choose.

Post by PlanxtyPipes »

Mr.Gumby wrote:There is probably something to be said for not spending too much on a whistle until you know the type of whistle and style of music you intend to play.

Get yourself a Cillian O'Briain improved or a Timothy Potter as a reliable not too shrill option (or a Generation or Oak as far as I am concerned, or spend a tenner on an old Feadóg, but you'll have to be able to handle them, they may or may not be 'beginner's' whistles in the usual sense). Once you can handle those well enough, make an informed decision about the aesthetic of the music you want to play and choose a whistle to match that.

The Potter is a quiet well balanced whistle that requires a light touch which makes it ideal for practice, It's perhaps not a whistle you'd take to play out but it does what it does well without upsetting anybody nearby.
I agree with Mr.Gumby. And I know he agrees that a Cillian O'Briain Improved whistle is no "beginner" instrument in the sense that you need to get a "better" instrument later. I have a few different whistles including some higher end whistles (Roy MacMaghnuis, Killarney brass, Jerry Freeman). The Cillian O'Briain Improved Feadog is still my favorite whistle to play. It is really effortless and you will definitely not be out of breath playing it. If anything you have to watch your breath control if you are coming from a whistle that requires more air. It just takes a short while to get used to it. I see you are in Canada, OP, so it would basically be $75 CAN total for the whistle and shipping. It's a no brainier to me for what he charges for them and how well they play and sound.
deenyo
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'd love to join so I can ask questions about Tin Whistles. I've enjoyed being able to read the forum but would now like to be able to contribute and ask questions. Thanks!

Re: Questions about intro vs pro and how to choose.

Post by deenyo »

OP Here,

I bought an O'Brien whistle! Back in the summer shortly after all of your helpful comments. I'm not sure if my other post got a bit lost, but thanks so much for all of the information.

I hope it continues to help others who are still looking for a first whistle.