which whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
The apostol
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have started whistling 2 months ago. Now Im searching for more information about whistles and find out that this should be the place to look for it

which whistle?

Post by The apostol »

Hi!

In this video, what is the brand of the whistle? Im thinking a Copeland...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRgBI0WqWp4
Mr.Gumby

Re: which whistle?

Post by Mr.Gumby »

The big bulge in the middle is the giveaway: Burke
My brain hurts

The apostol
Tell us something.: I have started whistling 2 months ago. Now Im searching for more information about whistles and find out that this should be the place to look for it

Post by The apostol »

Mr.Gumby wrote:The big bulge in the middle is the giveaway: Burke
ok, but I dont see the black top.. Maybe an older variant..?
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

My brain hurts

The apostol

Post by The apostol »

Ok thats it! By the way, which brands would be the most well known for high end whistles? Sindt, Burke, Copeland...
The apostol

Post by The apostol »

Talking about high d..
cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

burke
Choose you this day, whom ye shall serve
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

The apostol wrote:Ok thats it! By the way, which brands would be the most well known for high end whistles? Sindt, Burke, Copeland...

That depends on who you talk to. Burkes are fine and easy to get so they are are the most common of "the high end' and are often used professionally.

Sindts have historically been harder to get source to their being made by a single person. They are truly a pleasure to play and to listen to and have been played professionally since Mary Bergin. Though, the list may be getting a bit longer again, it had shortened significantly this winter.

O'Roirdans are favored by many, but since the maker has passed they are very scarce.

Copelands are also so hard to come by that many people have never heard one. Though I have into music around an excellent Copeland player and find them astounding to hear and to play. He is still making them without a list, and putting them out at seemingly random on Ebay. A friend of mine recently purchased one from him.

I have also heard some great Carbony whistle playing.

Though am currently out of the loop for the newer makers.

BTW was I the only one that thought the whistle in the clip was played out of tune? The fellow obviously wasn't a whistle player, so that may be forgivable.
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

I would add Colin Goldie and Roy McManus to the list.
The apostol

Post by The apostol »

Sedi wrote:I would add Colin Goldie and Roy McManus to the list.
even Goldie's high d's are top class??
The apostol

Post by The apostol »

BTW was I the only one that thought the whistle in the clip was played out of tune? The fellow obviously wasn't a whistle player, so that may be forgivable.[/quote]

maybe the last e note was a little out
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

The apostol wrote:
Sedi wrote:I would add Colin Goldie and Roy McManus to the list.
even Goldie's high d's are top class??
Brian Finnegan plays them. So I'm inclined to think so. There is also a French maker building Overton style high Ds and they sound absolutely beautiful in videos. His name is Le Meur.
RoberTunes
Tell us something.: I am a flute, guitar, keyboard + whistle player learning about quality whistles, musical possibilities and playing techniques. I've recorded a CD of my own music and am creating music for kids.

Post by RoberTunes »

The question arose: "By the way, which brands would be the most well known for high end whistles?"

The list is long, of top quality whistles. Some are popular, some less so, but that's nothing to do with quality, it's about marketing preferences, business ambition, price, whistle features, availability, geography of the manufacturer, etc.

First, know what kind(s) of whistles you YOURSELF prefer, read Chiff and Fipple to understand THOSE INSTRUMENT OPTIONS, and understand how to get a pernicious infection of WOAD disease, sell everything else you own, buy a suitcase, buy 150 sheets of double-sided blank music paper, two boxes of HB lead pencils, 25 erasers, one highlighter pen, a flashlight, a fishing pole, a cheap $35 electronic metronome, find a bridge to give you shelter at night, and then buy a whistle every two weeks, then two years from now, walk into a pub with your Coronavirus mask and gloves on, and tell them you're ready to entertain the masses with your whistle-channeled proclivities, as you put your sheet music on stands for the ITM musicians present to play along with.

Ultimately, this isn't about whistles, it's about YOU and that time you spent practicing. Every musician worth anything, has to find that bridge and go practice and create.