TURNS

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Peter Duggan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Re: TURNS

Post by Peter Duggan »

benhall.1 wrote:
Peter Duggan wrote:Don't get me started on mordents and inverted mordents because there's a perpetual argument about which is which...
Ha! Yes. From memory, I believe that that particular argument has been running for hundreds of years.
The safest terminology is lower and upper mordent rather than mordent and inverted mordent (and if you read that carefully you might spot which way I lean!). In practice I teach my pupils 1. caution in understanding plain 'mordent' either way and 2. that the concept is fundamentally a rhythmic, on-the-beat ornament with single auxiliary (although we could start splitting hairs to state that historically even these parameters varied). On which note, SQA (Scottish Qualifications Authority) listening exam marking schemes say things like 'Accept any reference to mordent (e.g. upper mordent or lower mordent)' and 'Accept any mordent'.

What's not in doubt is that the one with the stroke through it is the lower one.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: TURNS

Post by Nanohedron »

pancelticpiper wrote:Irish trad players generally call the gracenotes above the note being rolled "cuts" and the gracenotes below the note being rolled "pats".
To add to the confusion, a pat is also called a "tap", which is the term I learned. They're interchangeable.

EDIT: I hasten to add that there are varying schools of thought on which note to use for cuts: As in the vid I linked to, some people consistently use a C# cut for the upper half and an A cut for the lower half; others consistently cut with the closest note whatever the roll, as in your example (that's my usual method); and still others go with a more acutely aesthetic approach and select their cuts for the subliminal effect they have within a phrase, say a B cut on an E roll, for example. Ultimately, the choice is yours.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician