early Colin Goldie Low D

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
pancelticpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

early Colin Goldie Low D

Post by pancelticpiper »

This Low D whistle just now came up to auction

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CSG-OVERTON-Al ... SwBTxexc7p

I checked on Colin Goldie's site and he says "his earliest whistles" were stamped CSG OVERTON.

He says that stamp was used from when he started "in the early 1990s" until 1998.

After 1998 he began signing his whistles inside the bell which he still does.

Anyhow a cool bit of Colin Goldie history there.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Steve Bliven

Re: early Colin Goldie Low D

Post by Steve Bliven »

The eBay ad suggests that the model is a "Skelig Low D" and that the country of manufacture is the US. Lack of info by the seller or something else amiss?

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Steve Bliven wrote:The eBay ad suggests that the model is a "Skelig Low D" and that the country of manufacture is the US. Lack of info by the seller or something else amiss?

Best wishes.

Steve
Probably just edited an older ad, or used a template. The "Skellig" (or Skellig) is a whistle model I think made by Nick Metcalf. The listing also indicates the CSG Overton is "NEW" - that doesn't fit with pancelticpiper's historical info. Also, if that whistle is tunable, I can't make any split in the tubing, but just may be a bad photo, or my monitor's adjustment.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Yes it doesn't look tunable.

The info is from Colin Goldie's site:

https://www.colingoldie.de/faq-leser/it ... istle.html

"All Overton whistles I have made, have either my name engraved inside the end of the whistle or would have had CSG stamped before the Overton on my very early instruments (pre 1998)."
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
pancelticpiper

Post by pancelticpiper »

kkrell wrote: Probably just edited an older ad, or used a template.
That happens on Ebay all the time, the details in the description are fossils and don't match the photos or the main text.

I've had that happen, I create a new listing and Ebay will stick random things in the categories that have nothing to do with what I'm selling. And I don't re-use templates, every listing I do is from scratch.
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BigDavy »

Looks like someone told him about it, he has added the details in the description.

It is likely that it came from the same place as the job lot of uilleann pipes he is also selling.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
TxWhistler
Tell us something.: I have recently retired and have always wanted to learn to play a musical instrument. I'm leaning to play the whistle and now the flute.

Post by TxWhistler »

Looks like the auction has ended now. I'm wondering if the winner is from the C&F forum?

If so, it would be interesting (at least for me) for them to post a review of the whistler once they have received it and have had time to "get acquainted" with it.
TxWhistler
Tell us something.: I have recently retired and have always wanted to learn to play a musical instrument. I'm leaning to play the whistle and now the flute.

Post by TxWhistler »

Since I'm very new to whistling, please help educate me on this purchase. For what the winner of the auction paid did they get an average deal, a great deal, or did they pay too much?

From what little I know about whistles, it seems that Colin makes some very good whistles.

In the future if I find a similar whistle for sale I'd like to have an idea of the price that the instrument should bring so I won't overpay.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

TxWhistler wrote:Since I'm very new to whistling, please help educate me on this purchase. For what the winner of the auction paid did they get an average deal, a great deal, or did they pay too much?

From what little I know about whistles, it seems that Colin makes some very good whistles.

In the future if I find a similar whistle for sale I'd like to have an idea of the price that the instrument should bring so I won't overpay.
I'd say for a non-tunable Goldie whistle, in uncertain actual condition, the final price was average to having overpaid. Perhaps some historical interest for being an early version. The Irish Flute Store (where prices are sometimes a bit inflated) has sold more recently made used Goldie non-tunable low D's for around $250, and tunable (2-piece) for $300. Quality whistles new from other makers are often in that same price range, also somewhat dependent on material. Some cheaper, some more.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
pancelticpiper

Post by pancelticpiper »

$200 is good for a Goldie Low D, however it was one of his "earliest" whistles (his words) and as was pointed out in unknown condition (looks like some corrosion or muck inside the top) so yes perhaps more value as a historical curiosity than as a player.

Colin has spent decades refining his whistles so the best Goldie is probably a new one.

I wonder if that old one had a tight windway like Phil Hardy says his early Overtons did.
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
TxWhistler

Post by TxWhistler »

Thank you kkrell and pancelticpiper for the information!
pancelticpiper

Post by pancelticpiper »

You're welcome! Though as you see I don't have much information about early Goldies.

Phil Hardy made a fantastic video: he traces the history of his whistle-making, showing and playing examples of every different model of whistle he's made over the decades.

It may or may not shed light on what Colin Goldie was doing at that time.

Because as you may be aware at one point there were three makers producing Overton whistles

-Bernard Overton, the original creator

-Phil Hardy

-Colin Goldie

Bernard has passed. I never came across any detailed account of the variations he produced- though if you play ten different old Overton Overtons they will likely all be a bit different.

In any case Phil mentions that his early Overton Low Ds had a very tight windway leading to high backpressure/resistance/impedance.

Whoever bought that early Goldie will find out if Colin did the same.
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle