Tapping

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Michael w6
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have played bagpipes for several years. Open heart surgery in 2014 took me out for several months and I have not yet returned. I have begun to pursue the penny whistle instead. I'm looking for advice and friends in this new instrument.

Re: Tapping

Post by Michael w6 »

Well! This conversation is getting very interesting! All the posts about Fs and F# (and the same of Gs) makes me think I, as a new player, have come under an egregious misunderstanding of whistles. I had thought whistles are a transposing instrument, thus if I have say, the dots for a tune in D major and I play it on a C whistle, or any other key, playing the fingerings as I would a D, the tune will just come out the right, though transposed to the new key of C or whatever whistles I'm playing on.

And so those responding have a general understanding of my situation in the discussion - I'm learning the whistle on my own. I do not know any other whistle players to go to directly and other than some years with the GHB this is a new endeavor so I may fumble a lot. I've been glad of the helpful input I've been getting here.
A moment of carelessness, a lifetime of regret.
A lifetime of carelessness, a moment of regret.
david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by david_h »

Mr.Gumby wrote:... I ended up listening to Brian Vallely ... ... only to find he also uses that AFGE D. Let's say, wouldn't think of doing that.
I think one of my 'reference recordings' to refresh the tune in my mind is this track from a different album https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x-lqPRWUOs That's probably why the phrase sounds OK to me.

One of the others is Brother Steve's which I thought was better for this discussion.(while we are at it, the third recording I have squirrelled away is Michael Clarkson :http://irishflute.podbean.com/2009/02/2 ... ter-march/ - who refers to it as being in D minor)
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Michael w6 wrote:I had thought whistles are a transposing instrument, thus if I have say, the dots for a tune in D major and I play it on a C whistle, or any other key, playing the fingerings as I would a D, the tune will just come out the right, though transposed to the new key of C or whatever whistles I'm playing on.
That is correct.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Michael w6
Tell us something.: I have played bagpipes for several years. Open heart surgery in 2014 took me out for several months and I have not yet returned. I have begun to pursue the penny whistle instead. I'm looking for advice and friends in this new instrument.

Post by Michael w6 »

The current discussion of the tune, "Chanter's Song" brings up a related question. It may seem silly but that is not my intention. There are several different settings for this tune on The Session. So what makes a setting a variation and other settings deemed wrong? For instance setting 5 is recognizable as the tune but it is rather different than the other settings, jazzier I'd call it. And version 8 and others have the forth bar of line one as: quarter, two eights, quarter, two eights. Other versions have a run of for eighths.
A moment of carelessness, a lifetime of regret.
A lifetime of carelessness, a moment of regret.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Michael w6 wrote:The current discussion of the tune, "Chanter's Song" brings up a related question. It may seem silly but that is not my intention. There are several different settings for this tune on The Session. So what makes a setting a variation and other settings deemed wrong? For instance setting 5 is recognizable as the tune but it is rather different than the other settings, jazzier I'd call it. And version 8 and others have the forth bar of line one as: quarter, two eights, quarter, two eights. Other versions have a run of for eighths.
Setting 5 on the session.org is almost identical to Setting 1, except in a different key. There are some ornaments added in, but they are irrelevant to consideration of what is the notated tune. The rest of the notes are pretty much the same. Setting 8 has only just been added, by David50, who I believe is david_h here, who has probably added the setting as a direct result of this discussion. It is, as he says in his comment on the session.org, identical to Setting 1, just set out in 4/4 instead of 2/4.