Such a deal!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
facet
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A whistle will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no whistle.

Such a deal!

Post by facet »

Sprinkled with fairy dust. Only $47 for 24 months!! Order now and avoid the rush.

busterbill

Re: Such a deal!

Post by busterbill »

I sometimes wonder if these types of listings are money laundering scams. I see them now and again on Ebay and sometimes in the used book section on Amazon. Why else would anyone list a used book of a common edition at ten times the price of all the other Amazon sellers on the same listing?
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Seems obvious, the posting says there have been 617 sold. That's over $600,000 US profit after purchase of the whistles. If 617 people purchased at this price, why doubt the motive?

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
RoberTunes
Tell us something.: I am a flute, guitar, keyboard + whistle player learning about quality whistles, musical possibilities and playing techniques. I've recorded a CD of my own music and am creating music for kids.

Post by RoberTunes »

What happens on eBay, stays public, even in Vegas.

Some spoiled rotten fool in Margaritaville could probably be snared by such tactics. I don't know how it's legal, but that's a different topic. If the ad is correct that anyone at all has ever ordered one for that price, at least it's free shipping and I hope they got a real whistle, to stir their $27 margarita with. For some people, convenience can't have a high enough asking price.
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

Can't say with whistles, but I have some personal experience with books.

A lot of ebay sellers are actually robots. They'll usually scan the listings and price items at a near price point. Some robots will sense books that are out of print, deduce they are now rare, and raise prices.

Once, I changed a typo in one of my books...so it went offline for 24 hours while Amazon QC'd the change.

During that time, the robots fought each other over price. Some were raising prices because the book was out of print. Others were matching it, causing the 'rare' bookselling robots to raise prices even further, etc. My book got to about $3,000 on a few ebay robot booksellers before my change went live and the book came back online.
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

Wanderer wrote:Can't say with whistles, but I have some personal experience with books.

A lot of ebay sellers are actually robots. They'll usually scan the listings and price items at a near price point. Some robots will sense books that are out of print, deduce they are now rare, and raise prices.

Once, I changed a typo in one of my books...so it went offline for 24 hours while Amazon QC'd the change.

During that time, the robots fought each other over price. Some were raising prices because the book was out of print. Others were matching it, causing the 'rare' bookselling robots to raise prices even further, etc. My book got to about $3,000 on a few ebay robot booksellers before my change went live and the book came back online.

wow!
RoberTunes
Tell us something.: I am a flute, guitar, keyboard + whistle player learning about quality whistles, musical possibilities and playing techniques. I've recorded a CD of my own music and am creating music for kids.

Post by RoberTunes »

Sunday May 10, 2020, at 6:35pm, the ad is still up at eBay with that price still on it. "617 Sold".

How do I get in on that kind of thing? I have an unused Mars Black tube of acrylic paint here, 2oz, that I'm pretty sure should sell to some Margaritaville hot dogger for $836.95, plus shipping, fully prepaid. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

There was one Ebay seller, a legit firm with a solid history, which for some unknown reason listed several of their items at ten times their usual prices. I think it was merely a typo, but these items stayed up on Ebay for the full runs of their auctions. You would think somebody at the firm would have noticed.

There's been no repeat of that, by them.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
facet
Tell us something.: A whistle will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no whistle.

Post by facet »

pancelticpiper wrote:....You would think somebody at the firm would have noticed.....
Yes, how could they not notice. I'm still trying to figure out this one....
https://tinyurl.com/y9ngq2um
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

facet wrote:
pancelticpiper wrote:....You would think somebody at the firm would have noticed.....
Yes, how could they not notice. I'm still trying to figure out this one....
https://tinyurl.com/y9ngq2um
That's rich. Well, you pays yer money and you takes yer chances.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
rhulsey

Post by rhulsey »

But shipping is free!
"Those who can make you believe absurdities
can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire