Killarney Brass Bb

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ElementalWhistle
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am looking forward to learning more about whistles and sessions and tunes and this looked like a positive community and great resource.

Killarney Brass Bb

Post by ElementalWhistle »

Can't find anything about this whistle other than that it exists on their website. Anyone have it, can speak to it? Can't find a whistle review or even recording on Youtube or the Killarney website for the Bb module.
Mr.Gumby

Re: Killarney Brass Bb

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Must be a recent addition. No photos of it on the site either.

I was mildly disappointed with the C and between that, the price and having yet to find a use for a Bb, I don't feel the urge.
My brain hurts

pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I hope it's nice.

I have three Killarney D's, one is super-sweet and has perfectly tuned octaves, two are a tad stiff and have flat 2nd octaves. So I don't know what to expect from their Bb.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
stanton135
Tell us something.: Hi Nano. I was somewhat active on the Chiffboards maybe 5 or 6 years ago, participating in several whistle tours (Bracker, Hardy, Ellis). I took a break from the Chiffboards, and music mostly, for several years because I got a full-time job and had a baby. I'm easing back into the music, though (which is great, I missed it). It's good to be back!

Post by stanton135 »

Ooh, that's exciting. Personally what I'd really love to see is a Killarney A.

I've been really enjoying my Killarney D. It's got a nice sweet sound, very stable response, a beautiful easy high register. Mine did have octaves that were narrow, out of the box, but my standard poster-putty tweak fixed it for me.

I think I've mentioned this tweak before, but what I do is this: on cheapie high whistles with narrow octaves (and the Killarney), I take a smidge of poster putty (maybe half the size of a pea). Then, I take the whistle tube off the head, and attach the poster putty to the inside of the tube at the top (meaning both the side that goes into the whistle head, and the side that has the holes). I flatten out the putty a bit. This creates a bore perturbation that helps widen the octaves. I play the whistle into an RTTA tuner and/or against some well-tuned recordings to check the tuning, and then I adjust the sizing and placement of the poster putty and check again. It's an easy, cheap, and entirely reversible tweak that has made a big difference in my satisfaction with several of my whistles, including the Killarney.