It is currently Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:12 pm 

So I've been spending my self-isolation time compiling this Spotify Traditional Irish Tin Whistle playlist. As per title, I'm keeping it pretty traditional, excluding the more US/jazz influenced stuff in the John McSherry playlist. Please let me know if there are tin whistle albums I've missed, or if there are tracks in there that shouldn't be (sometimes my finger slips and things get random). I'm still working on ordering it in a way that pleases me.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/7eBLv ... 6aTJ3DkpC0

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:19 pm 

I've also got one for flute, and for ITM with flute and other instruments. Again, please suggest anything I've missed, or tracks that have snuck in that shouldn't be there.

Very Flute centric:
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5Lz87 ... bkx7V2r6v6

General ITM with flute:
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5n4tC ... peqOR22Xnk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:25 pm 

Thank you for sharing those! I'll take a listen.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:16 am 

Thanks for posting the links, whilst not an ITM'er, I do like whistles & flutes. :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:35 am 

Quote:
Please let me know if there are tin whistle albums I've missed

Compare your list to the Whistle recordings thread, if you haven't already, and that's not by far complete, exhaustive or up to date. But it may give you a few ideas. Don't worry about it, enjoy what's there and keep an eye out for new discoveries that give you something to take away and enjoy. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:01 am 

Thanks very much for taking the time to create the playlists. Spotify is a great way to find new and interesting music. And a Brian Eno playlist as a bonus !

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:11 pm 

I've got Brian Hughes on my list. But be careful: Spotify has conflated two Brian Hugheses, a whistler and a jazz guitarist. I'm looking at the performer on The Beat of the Breath, The Clear Air, and a couple of other albums.

This one from Planxty just came up: https://open.spotify.com/track/1QnoiY76MgNsUMDt1R9RO8?si=R2IEtWQ9QyGRIi78W4Og5w. Is it on your list?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:25 pm 

Tunborough wrote:
I've got Brian Hughes on my list. But be careful: Spotify has conflated two Brian Hugheses, a whistler and a jazz guitarist. I'm looking at the performer on The Beat of the Breath, The Clear Air, and a couple of other albums.

Thank you for finding the correct Brian Hughes for me! He wouldn't come up on my searches, and the CDs (and thus CD titles) I have of his aren't on Spotify.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:31 pm 

Mr.Gumby wrote:
Quote:
Compare your list to the Whistle recordings thread, if you haven't already, and that's not by far complete, exhaustive or up to date. But it may give you a few ideas. Don't worry about it, enjoy what's there and keep an eye out for new discoveries that give you something to take away and enjoy. :thumbsup:

Thanks, that's such an awesome resource (I recommend everyone take a look at it!), it was my first stop (outside my own collection) that I used to compile my playlist. Unfortunately for us Spotifiers, most of those aren't on there, just as about half my CD collection isn't on Spotify either. But I should go through again, looking for the artist then the CD name, just to make sure.

I do wish that more artists with rare/out-of-print music would put it on Spotify. It's not a great revenue stream, but it's better than nothing, and keeps the artist's name and work in public view. But I also understand why a number don't.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:46 pm 

Peter Haller wrote:
And a Brian Eno playlist as a bonus !

Watch out, that's one of the many of my playlists are for insomnia, so the same album will repeat a few times in a row, which helps me fall asleep.

The long playlists, like the whistle and flute ones, are purposely as long as possible, so that they will last through all my sleep stages: -first a couple of hours of insomniac tossing and turning
-the actual sleep period when, during light stages, I think I'm awake, so the music soothes me back to sleep
-finally, the lying in bed cuddling the kitty stage in the morning, while the less cuddly (but much smarter) fat kitty wanders around my bed shouting, "Get up, it's breakfast time! Feed me now! Feed us now! Hungry hungry hungry!" thus ensuring I won't fall asleep again

A couple with less repetition that flutey people might enjoy are
Baroque Flute Sonatas:
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3NvhW ... Y5fqNEwGPi
Vivaldi Flute Concertos:
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/7uffh ... yLylI5EKNW

I'm going to make some Bach and Telemann flute playlists too, since they're actually my Baroque faves, but I have been on this odd Vivaldi kick this past year.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:49 am 

Quote:
Thanks, that's such an awesome resource (I recommend everyone take a look at it!), it was my first stop (outside my own collection) that I used to compile my playlist. Unfortunately for us Spotifiers, most of those aren't on there, just as about half my CD collection isn't on Spotify either. But I should go through again, looking for the artist then the CD name, just to make sure.

I do wish that more artists with rare/out-of-print music would put it on Spotify. It's not a great revenue stream, but it's better than nothing, and keeps the artist's name and work in public view. But I also understand why a number don't.

I realised Spotify is probably limited after I made my post, sorry about that.

I have in the past received bollockings, both here and on the session.org, for no longer making a CD available once the last run sold out. There are all sort of reasons different people have CDs and when those reasons run out, for not or no longer wanting recordings out there and for shunning online platforms. Different strokes and all that. It's not a big deal.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:16 am 

squidgirl wrote:
-finally, the lying in bed cuddling the kitty stage in the morning, while the less cuddly (but much smarter) fat kitty wanders around my bed shouting, "Get up, it's breakfast time! Feed me now! Feed us now! Hungry hungry hungry!" thus ensuring I won't fall asleep again

A couple with less repetition that flutey people might enjoy are
Baroque Flute Sonatas:
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3NvhW ... Y5fqNEwGPi
Vivaldi Flute Concertos:
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/7uffh ... yLylI5EKNW

I'm going to make some Bach and Telemann flute playlists too, since they're actually my Baroque faves, but I have been on this odd Vivaldi kick this past year.

Fat cats wanting food can be very purrsistent..... :D

Thanks for those extra links. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:06 am 

This is great, I play Spotify in the shop every day and my playlists were getting a bit stagnant. Looking forward to checking these out.

Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:03 am 

Goes to show what a dinosaur I am, I have no idea what Spotify is.

When I clicked on those links no enlightenment happened, no lists were seen.

Goldie Low D whistle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:56 am 

I did open a Spotify account a few years ago, however, as I read more about it and how little the musicians actually make from there I decided not to support that platform and not to use it. Oh well, to each their own.