advice on low F whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
maiingan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi;
I have an Oak high D, Generation Bb, Dixon Alto A, Tilbury Low G, Humphrey low F and a Howard low D.

advice on low F whistle

Post by maiingan »

Hi;

I am moving on down to a low F from an A. I know there aren't that many in my price range (around $120 USD max) There aren't that many choices it seems: Kerry Optima, Sheerwater, an MK Kelpie if I could find a used one. Are there others that I'm missing? Also F or F#? I like a clear tone where you hear the note more than the roar rushing of air noise. I know susato makes them but there is something about the sound that I don't find attractive. Also I hear they are loud. I don't need one for sessions and I don't want to annoy housemates or neighbors. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks;

Pat
Stay safe and hopefully healthy;

Patti
et succendam sibilus (blow the whistle) :thumbsup:
RoberTunes
Tell us something.: I am a flute, guitar, keyboard + whistle player learning about quality whistles, musical possibilities and playing techniques. I've recorded a CD of my own music and am creating music for kids.

Re: advice on low F whistle

Post by RoberTunes »

YouTube has taught me much about that topic, so keep looking, you'll find something. I think the Optima has great tone and little of that wasted air effect going on. There are others..........

Here's another possible option, listen to the sound sample:
http://www.goldfinch.eu/low-whistles/

The ALBA Vibe model in F is on the north end or your spending limit.
http://www.albawhistles.com/whistleshop/index.php
Last edited by RoberTunes on Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimhanks
Tell us something.: I play lots of instruments including several wind instruments like recorder and Native American flutes. I'm looking to expand my horizons and learn more about whistles, especially wooden ones.

Post by jimhanks »

Can't go wrong with Shearwater in my view
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

Out of your price range but I really like my carbony. They have a clear tone, low air requirement, and seem to be easy on the hand. Just to confuse you...
maiingan
I have an Oak high D, Generation Bb, Dixon Alto A, Tilbury Low G, Humphrey low F and a Howard low D.

Post by maiingan »

jimhanks wrote:Can't go wrong with Shearwater in my view
tunable or not tunable? F or F#?

Patti
maiingan

Post by maiingan »

busterbill wrote:Out of your price range but I really like my carbony. They have a clear tone, low air requirement, and seem to be easy on the hand. Just to confuse you...
Lovely sound, wanna sell dirt cheap :shock: :D just kidding

Patti
maiingan

Post by maiingan »

Anyone have used MK Kelpie Low F they want to pass on? Comparison between fixed kelpie, tune-able optima or shearwater? I really don't know difference between F, F# so not sure which one would be more useful and if I should only look at tune-able whistles? Will mostly play on my own.

Patti
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

busterbill

Post by busterbill »

If you are playing on your own it likely doesn't matter. If you are bringing it to sessions you sometimes find a singer who sings in f or a relative key so that is nice. I have yet to see a f# myself. But I am sure they are popular somewhere.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

I have a Shearwater & a Kelpie, was considering a Kerry, when the Kelpie showed up pre used.

Any of those 3 would be a good choice, I think.

(Both of mine are one piece non tunable aluminium, as I only play for my own pleasure at home.)
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
qaantar
Tell us something.: I'm a long-time musician, grew up with piano, recorder, electric bass. Now I've picked up the tin whistle and have been exploring Irish music.

Post by qaantar »

On F vs F#/Gb....

As busterbill says, if you're always playing alone, then the key really doesn't matter. You'll be transposing the music you play to those keys.

If you ever want to play with people, F will be more common than F#, but both will be less common than other keys.

The primary physical difference is that an F whistle will be longer than an F# whistle. You're probably already using pipers' grip for the A whistle. If not, it will be necessary for F or F#, with a slightly longer reach with the F whistle.

If none of that matters, then you'll be fine for whatever you can find in your budget.
maiingan

Post by maiingan »

So it sounds like F would be good. I'll disregard F#. If I get a Shearwater: As for shearwater, tunable or not? I’d mostly be playing solo. Also brass or alloy? Any input appreciated? Trying to decide between it and optima.

Patti
fatmac

Post by fatmac »

I didn't get the Optima that I was about to, but I have no regrets having bought my Shearwater non tunable aluminium, (& I like my other one too ;) ).

I don't think you will be disappointed, which ever you choose.
Keith.
maiingan

Post by maiingan »

fatmac wrote:
I have a Shearwater & a Kelpie,
was considering a Kerry, when the Kelpie showed up pre used.

Any of those 3 would be a good choice, I think.

(Both of mine are one piece non tunable aluminium, as I only play for my own pleasure at home.)
How would you compare the Shearwater to the Kelpie? Ease of playing, air efficent, how much air it takes, loudness, etc, or anything else you care to offer between them?

Patti
fatmac

Post by fatmac »

maiingan wrote: How would you compare the Shearwater to the Kelpie? Ease of playing, air efficent, how much air it takes, loudness, etc, or anything else you care to offer between them?
I, personally, don't find a great deal of difference between them, more work has gone into the Kelpie, but sound wise, the Shearwater, I think, is slightly more mellow, a kind of rounded tone, the Kelpie has a certain something to its tone, requires a little more effort, & is a bit louder/clearer sounding.

If I had to keep only one, it would obviously be the Kelpie, it may be psychological, but just feels better in the hands.

The Shearwater is excellent value, the Kelpie is expensive, is it worth the extra(?), maybe to a session player, but I happened on mine at a good price, pre used.

Hope that is of some help in deciding.
Keith.