Conical Bore Low D Whistle Series

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
AngelicBeaver
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistles since 2010. I love how varied whistles are in their design, construction, tone, and handling. Though I've largely settled on what I enjoy playing, I'm still a sucker for an interesting new design.

Conical Bore Low D Whistle Series

Post by AngelicBeaver »

I had a request to put these on a Chiff post, so here they are!

I made four videos of low D whistles with a conical or tapered bore. I still plan to do a comparative video of all of them together, but I did the Onyx feature yesterday evening, and then spontaneously decided to do a feature for each of them.

Onyx: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSET5MQfenw

Shaw: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8gyk5o7h3k&t=326s

Tony Dixon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiByycDeFwE

Carbony: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CU58dVy0tcw&t=174s
Nathaniel James Dowell
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Conical Bore Low D Whistle Series

Post by ytliek »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
stanton135
Tell us something.: Hi Nano. I was somewhat active on the Chiffboards maybe 5 or 6 years ago, participating in several whistle tours (Bracker, Hardy, Ellis). I took a break from the Chiffboards, and music mostly, for several years because I got a full-time job and had a baby. I'm easing back into the music, though (which is great, I missed it). It's good to be back!

Post by stanton135 »

Thanks for the videos! It was interesting to see each one up close. Also, you've improved notably as a player since the last time I saw one of your videos (maybe five years ago). Sounds good! :thumbsup:

Do you notice something that all four of them have in common with each other, being conical whistles, that makes them different to play than cylindrical whistles? Do they have a collective identity in terms of sound or handling? Or are they as distinct from each other as they are from a Burke or MK (or Reyburn, Goldie, Susato, Bracker, Chieftain, etc.)?
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Thanks for doing those!

However I don't think playing outside in the wind is ideal especially for low whistles.

BTW I used to have two of the Tony Dixon conical-bore Low Ds and both of them had a white plastic ring at the bottom which yours lacks. Do you know why that is?

About wind and Low Ds, years ago I was hired to play at a beach wedding. The Bride wanted a particular tune played on Low Whistle (she had an album she liked of it).

The beach here is always windy, sometimes pretty strong, and I tried to sell her on the uilleann pipes or Scottish pipes. I explained that bagpipes aren't affected by wind, but with whistles if the wind is strong enough they just won't make any sound at all.

She insisted on Low Whistle and sure enough I was cutting in and out during her tune.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

Nice to see & hear what the Shaw sounds like - I have the Tony Dixon & really like it, it's a great whistle. :)
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
AngelicBeaver
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistles since 2010. I love how varied whistles are in their design, construction, tone, and handling. Though I've largely settled on what I enjoy playing, I'm still a sucker for an interesting new design.

Post by AngelicBeaver »

Yes, there's a lot of traffic noise outside as well, but outside is where I could be and also play the whistles at this particular moment. The wind actually wasn't too bad, and only pestered me a bit on the Dixon video.

As for a shared characteristic on all four, maybe. That's definitely what I expected to find when I started, but at this point, I'm not sure if anything that seems similar is due to the conical bore, or other design similarities. No one, unifying characteristic really jumps out at me. I heard someone say that conical bore whistles had a "hollow" sound, and it MIGHT be true, but it's such a nebulous idea that it's not very useful. I think a whistle head design would have to be set, and then everything kept the same except for the body shape, and then play them side by side. Each one of these whistles has its own unique sound.

Thanks for the comment about my playing. It's not where I want it to be yet, but I'm glad an improvement is noticeable.
Nathaniel James Dowell