Woodstock by Clarke?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
AngelicBeaver
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistles since 2010. I love how varied whistles are in their design, construction, tone, and handling. Though I've largely settled on what I enjoy playing, I'm still a sucker for an interesting new design.

Woodstock by Clarke?

Post by AngelicBeaver »

I may have asked this question a long time ago, but I figured I'd try again.

In the summer of 2013, I was near the border between Maine and Canada, and I happened upon a box of whistles marked "Woodstock by Clarke". They were $7.99 each, and being the curious man I am, I bought a green one and left. It quickly became my favorite high D whistle for its beautiful, chirpy second octave, and husky, open first, so I went online and tried to find a second one. I had no luck whatsoever. I even ordered one listed as a Woodstock, and received a Sweetone instead. At that point, I found that a Woodstock, as far as I could see, was identical. I currently have two Sweetones and the Woodstock, and each plays slightly differently, but I've always wondered, what was the deal with the "Woodstock"? Was it a limited run? Were they similar to the Meg, as a more cheaply produced Sweetone, but just rebranded for the American market? I'm content with Woodstock = Sweetone, but I'd love it if someone could solve my longstanding mystery.
Nathaniel James Dowell
an seanduine

Re: Woodstock by Clarke?

Post by an seanduine »

Thank you for that question. It led me down quite ´the rabbit-hole of memory´. The short answer is right here: https://www.homespun.com/shop/product/pennywhistle/
Happy Traum and company are based in Woodstock, NY. If you click the zoom button, you can see on the whistle ¨Woods. . .¨.
Bye the bye, ´Meg´ was Victorian slang for a ha´pence, which is what Robert Clarke charged for his hand made whistles, and came to be what folks back then came to call them.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
cavefish
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Re: Woodstock by Clarke?

Post by cavefish »

i like the original Clarkes, soft and even, always oil the wood block
Choose you this day, whom ye shall serve