Whistle Away

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Polara Pat
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: In an effort to ease from lurker to forum member; I'm hoping that this elite gang of whistlers will help this very green player to advance to the next stage. My current stage is slightly below novice and is only permitted in the garage like the dog I am. Oh yah, not a robot.

Whistle Away

Post by Polara Pat »

A comment from Pancelticpiper about playing his quietest whistle at the farthest reaches of his house got me thinking about how people are coping with playing at home when their significant other is usually at work or away but is now always around. I'm fortunate enough to have a heated garage full of hot rods and cool stuff where I play every day and no one is the wiser.
Yesterday I decided to take the seven minute drive to Lakeside Park on Kootenay Lake and played for an hour or so to the ducks and geese. Really nice to get out, tough crowd though.

Anyone else doing similar adventures to play?

ImageIMG_0280 by Pat McInnis, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0281 by Pat McInnis, on Flickr
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Re: Whistle Away

Post by Sedi »

Nice Hohner!
My wife and I both work from home (she for 7 yrs now and myself for 5) so we literally spend almost every minute of every day together. But luckily the house is big enough, when someone wants to practice his instrument (she plays accordion) without the other one hearing it, it is easily done. I can shut 4 doors between the study and the living room and happily honk away on my flute (or play the whistle) to my heart's content.
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tunborough »

Sigh. All the parks, beaches, and conservation areas around here are closed because they were drawing crowds who weren't respecting distancing. Just when we could really use more space, we have a lot less. We've got a bit of room out the back, so we're better off than most.
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

A number of state parks in Wisconsin are closed as is the Lakefront Park in Chicago due to large crowds when the weather improved. I get it that people are feeling cooped up, but we do have to be careful. It looks like you have a nice socially distant spot there Polara Pat. I hope it stays sparcely attended so you can enjoy it.
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

In Connecticut state parks are open only until the parking lot fills to capacity and then folks are turned away.
Polara Pat
Tell us something.: In an effort to ease from lurker to forum member; I'm hoping that this elite gang of whistlers will help this very green player to advance to the next stage. My current stage is slightly below novice and is only permitted in the garage like the dog I am. Oh yah, not a robot.

Post by Polara Pat »

busterbill wrote:A number of state parks in Wisconsin are closed as is the Lakefront Park in Chicago due to large crowds when the weather improved. I get it that people are feeling cooped up, but we do have to be careful. It looks like you have a nice socially distant spot there Polara Pat. I hope it stays sparcely attended so you can enjoy it.
Our town is pretty small and people here are reasonably respectful about distancing themselves. Grocery stores are a whole other issue. Provincial parks just closed the other day but we have tons of accessible waterfront to allow everyone who wants to enjoy the spring weather with the faintest sound of ITM coming from the back of an old Cherokee.hah
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

I'm finding it very difficult to get in as much practice as I want. Normally I have a lot of time at home alone and can work on phrases over and over and over, but with people in the house I'm acutely aware of how annoying that is to listen to, and I've actually been playing less since the virus. It's been one of the worst aspects of the virus lockdown, fortunately I guess.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

Me too, don't want to annoy the neighbours, (thin walls on these properties), so practicing has been severely curtailed. :(
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Living on the back of beyond means there are no neighbours to worry about. My wife is in the backroom, working from home, unaffected by any noise I may produce. The weather has been fine, I have sat outside playing the whistle but mostly keep it in house. Less going out for supplies, no walks by the sea or a quick dash to the Cliffs of Moher to walk the edge or go up Mullaghmore for a few hours. That's a bit of a shame but being out in the country we can walk 'up the mountain' or down the road and hardly see a soul about. Other than that we try and keep going as much as normal as we can, with the luxury of having private space around us.

My brain hurts

squidgirl

Post by squidgirl »

I'm lucky to be cat-sitting at my old house, which is so old and tiny it was too small for the two of us, but it's perfect for just one. My ex-roomie is back on the East Coast where his elderly parents are not in good health, so he decided to stay there in case air travel gets shut down. So I can whistle away day or night, sweet!

I've missed the kitties a lot, so it's lovely being back here. I call it Cat Spa because it has a delightful huge old claw-foot bathtub for Epsom salt baths.

It's close to the waterfront for permissible masked walks, but very close to downtown that there's noplace for secluded whistling. So the noisemakers stay at home.
cephalopods => weirdly intelligent
Polara Pat

Post by Polara Pat »

squidgirl wrote:I'm lucky to be cat-sitting at my old house, which is so old and tiny it was too small for the two of us, but it's perfect for just one. My ex-roomie is back on the East Coast where his elderly parents are not in good health, so he decided to stay there in case air travel gets shut down. So I can whistle away day or night, sweet!

I've missed the kitties a lot, so it's lovely being back here. I call it Cat Spa because it has a delightful huge old claw-foot bathtub for Epsom salt baths.

It's close to the waterfront for permissible masked walks, but very close to downtown that there's noplace for secluded whistling. So the noisemakers stay at home.
Sounds lovely. The waterfall walk sounds ideal, I have yet to try whistling through my mask. Hmmm
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

fatmac wrote:Me too, don't want to annoy the neighbours, (thin walls on these properties), so practicing has been severely curtailed. :(
I've got a house full of adult children who have their odd sleep schedules. Which is nice since it provides alone time for everyone sometime. So I have pulled out my quietest whistle when I have played. I just picked it up again after a few weeks of OMG seismic shock at the state of things. My quietest whistle is an old sweetone. There are lots of posts regarding quiet whistles if money allows a purchase at this time.

One way to make a loud whistle quieter is to put a bit of tape over the mouthpiece.