Low E note on Dixon Low D whistles.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
gerardo1000

Low E note on Dixon Low D whistles.

Post by gerardo1000 »

Of the four low Ds that I currently have, a favorite of mine is the Dixon alloy low D, the one with aluminum body and ABS head. I find, however, that its bottom E note is quite weak in comparison to the other adjacent notes. Is it an inherent characteristic of this whistle? Maybe some Dixon alloy low D owners can tell me their opinion. Thanks!
Last edited by gerardo1000 on Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pancelticpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Re: Low E note on Low D whistles.

Post by pancelticpiper »

It's inherent with many if not most Low D whistles to have low E weaker than its neighbors Bottom D and low F#.

The MK Low Ds I owned were remarkable in that those three notes all had the same breaking-point.

Those notes on my Goldie Low D are nearly identical.

Perhaps the worst Low D I've owned in that regard was my Burke Pro Viper: Bottom D and low F# were like cannons but I had to really back off on low E or it would flutter and break.

But sorry I don't currently own any Dixon Low Ds.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
gerardo1000

Re: Low E note on Low D whistles.

Post by gerardo1000 »

My MK Kelpie has an excellent bottom E, also my Susato Dublin and my Chieftain (although not as great as the MK, but still very good). The Dixon alloy low D (which by the way is a favorite of mine, I like its sound and the tone holes spacing) instead has a bottom E that not only is more fragile, I. E. I have te reduce the blow in order not to break to the higher octave, but it has an audible less volume. That is why I am looking for other Dixon low D owners. I'd like to know if this weak bottom E is inherent in the whistle's design, or if my Dixon is missing something.