Conical Bore Low D Whistles?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
AngelicBeaver
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistles since 2010. I love how varied whistles are in their design, construction, tone, and handling. Though I've largely settled on what I enjoy playing, I'm still a sucker for an interesting new design.

Conical Bore Low D Whistles?

Post by AngelicBeaver »

There's something nice about conical bore whistles, but the design is far less commonly found compared to their cylindrical brethren. I just received a Dixon conical bore low D, and I'm about to get a Carbony Low D (thanks Pat!), and I'm interested in what other conical bore makers are out there. I'm still assembling my ultimate high D collection for my video, and so I'll have to sell off some of those to make financial headroom for the next batch, but I'm thinking I'd like to attempt a conical bore low D video next.

So I'm aware of the following:

Carbony (acquired)
Copeland
Onyx
Dixon (acquired)
Shaw

Currently, it seems to be a small group. I'm particularly interested in metal or synthetic material whistles. I'm not certain if I want to add any of the wooden makers, but if one comes up, I might include it. I'm assuming the Copeland will be the toughest one to find. If anyone has one of these in a drawer somewhere, and you're willing to sell it, feel free to PM me.

At one point, I had an Onyx that I'd found used, but I sold it before I started doing these sorts of videos. Interesting tone, though it seems like the second octave E was very sensitive to tonguing.
Nathaniel James Dowell
stiofan
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Re: Conical Bore Low D Whistles?

Post by stiofan »

Chino

Post by Chino »

Yvon Le Coant:

http://www.lecoant.com/articles.php?lng=fr&pg=61

Solen Le Souëf made conical low whistle:

Don't know if she still made it though.
trill

Post by trill »

AngelicBeaver:

I think the LowD by P.B. Bleazey is conical. His website says "tapered".

http://www.bleazey.co.uk/whistlepage.html

Which Dixon did you acquire ? I've wanted to try one of the new Dixon conical low D's for a while now (as well as a Bleazey sometime). Thwarted by the usual dollar-dilemma . . .

trill
AngelicBeaver
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistles since 2010. I love how varied whistles are in their design, construction, tone, and handling. Though I've largely settled on what I enjoy playing, I'm still a sucker for an interesting new design.

Post by AngelicBeaver »

trill wrote:AngelicBeaver:

I think the LowD by P.B. Bleazey is conical. His website says "tapered".

http://www.bleazey.co.uk/whistlepage.html

Which Dixon did you acquire ? I've wanted to try one of the new Dixon conical low D's for a while now (as well as a Bleazey sometime). Thwarted by the usual dollar-dilemma . . .

trill
This one:
https://www.hobgoblin-usa.com/local/sal ... one-piece/

I've been interested for years, and it's priced so well that I've told many others to check it out as a first low D, but I never had enough of a reason to get one. I'm impressed with it. The head looks a lot like a Goldie, but it's got a very different tone. Nice open sound.
Nathaniel James Dowell
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

Those Tony Dixon one piece low 'D' whistles, & their one piece low 'D' flute, are easy players, well worth their cost, :thumbsup:
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.