SYNning!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Michael w6
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have played bagpipes for several years. Open heart surgery in 2014 took me out for several months and I have not yet returned. I have begun to pursue the penny whistle instead. I'm looking for advice and friends in this new instrument.

SYNning!

Post by Michael w6 »

I recently purchased a new whistle from Erle Bartlett, maker of SYN whistles. It is tuned to a Mid Eastern scale, ahava raba. Any other members have this whistle? What do you think of it?
A moment of carelessness, a lifetime of regret.
A lifetime of carelessness, a moment of regret.
syn whistles

Re: SYNning!

Post by syn whistles »

I'm afraid you seek in vain there Michael, yours is the only one I've made. Perhaps there are some out there made by Eric the Flutemaker.
I found it a nice little whistle for doodling, just going up and down the scale produces some almost recognizable Arabic style riffs. How do you find the fingering?
So good it has to be a SYN!
Michael w6
Tell us something.: I have played bagpipes for several years. Open heart surgery in 2014 took me out for several months and I have not yet returned. I have begun to pursue the penny whistle instead. I'm looking for advice and friends in this new instrument.

Post by Michael w6 »

Well! A One of a Kind! I feel quite honored. I really like the whistle quite a lot. The low note, played with the pinky, took a bit of getting used to but quite manageable. After playing it I have a strong desire to eat hummus and pita. I also got curious about Mid Eastern scales and there is a lot of information online. Interesting how different cultures develop their music. I'd be rather interested in having the same scale in a lower pitch. Or other "exotic" scales.
dch
Tell us something.: Long time amateur musican, and world traveller, now in Vienna, Austria. I've played violin, guitar, accordion, and now tin whistler. I think your fipple is showing.

Post by dch »

sounds amazing. can you post some music, and maybe a video showing this pinky prowess?
Michael w6

Post by Michael w6 »

Sadly or gladly depending one one's point of view, I'm a Luddite. I have no idea how to post a video. Erle Bartlett of SYN whistles, the maker of this fine instrument, may be able to help.
MarcusR
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Post by MarcusR »

For Ahava Rabba and Klezmer on whistles check out the clips of Daniel Bingamon and Tony Hinnigan:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=106541

/MarcusR
There is no such thing as tailwind -- it's either against you or you're simply having great legs!
syn whistles

Post by syn whistles »

Michael w6 wrote:Sadly or gladly depending one one's point of view, I'm a Luddite. I have no idea how to post a video. Erle Bartlett of SYN whistles, the maker of this fine instrument, may be able to help.
Nah, don't have a whistle any more...
So good it has to be a SYN!