Range/jargon comparing to concert flutes - several questions

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
pancelticpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Re: Range/jargon comparing to concert flutes - several quest

Post by pancelticpiper »

Yes a vintage flute but in what key? It could be in F, in Eb, or in D.

The best value in a keyed flute for Irish music are the various Delrin/polypenco flutes by the leading legit makers- there are some for sale on this site now.

Here's one viewtopic.php?f=35&t=109895

(This isn't a recommendation of that particular flute or seller, just an example that these things are available.)
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Heady
Tell us something.: Hello.
I am really a viola/mandolin player, but I have a concert flute and played quite well in high school (class of '92, lol, so nothing recent). It no longer speaks to me - I listen to a lot of Scandinavian and Irish folk music for the fiddling and occasional mandolin-ing. I feel a calling to Irish flute and whistles, but know nothing and am trying to get some information on (garbag-y) instruments to give a whirl. If a (garbagy) instrument turns out fun, I might spend a year or so saving up for a better (still beginner) instrument.

Thank you.

Post by Heady »

pancelticpiper wrote:Yes a vintage flute but in what key? It could be in F, in Eb, or in D.

The best value in a keyed flute for Irish music are the various Delrin/polypenco flutes by the leading legit makers- there are some for sale on this site now.

Here's one viewtopic.php?f=35&t=109895

(This isn't a recommendation of that particular flute or seller, just an example that these things are available.)
Thank you.
Heady
I am really a viola/mandolin player, but I have a concert flute and played quite well in high school (class of '92, lol, so nothing recent). It no longer speaks to me - I listen to a lot of Scandinavian and Irish folk music for the fiddling and occasional mandolin-ing. I feel a calling to Irish flute and whistles, but know nothing and am trying to get some information on (garbag-y) instruments to give a whirl. If a (garbagy) instrument turns out fun, I might spend a year or so saving up for a better (still beginner) instrument.

Thank you.

Post by Heady »

Ok, thank you everyone - this is *probably* my last question. In light of all of the information shared, my financial limitations, and my interest in learning the fingerings before anything else, I'm going to go for a high D whistle. This might be a dumb source of influence, but... I see generation whistles in the hands of lots of the guys in my husband's Clancy Brothers themed YouTube play list (he's Irish, I'm Norwegian), so I looked hard at those. I am theoretically sold on the Jerry Freeman "tweaked" mellow dog in D. It comes as a set with a spare C tube in his E-bay store. It's a trivial additional cost for the spare tube, so my novice notion would be to just go for it. So, unless someone tells me in the next couple of hours "Don't, that's dumb, just get the D because______", I'll probably hit "check out" on this.

Thank you all for your patient, and clear replies :)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Freeman-Whistl ... 27072#rwid
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

I am a great fan of Jerry´s work. My inclination would be to say ´Go for it!´. HOWEVER: I don´t know you or your budget, so bear in mind I´m a stranger spending your money. :D I´ve never regretted buying any of Jerry´s whistles. The C tube opens you up to some marvelous session tunes like Julia Delaney and Sgt. Early´s Dream.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Chiffed
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Chiffed »

I have thoroughly enjoyed my Mellow Dog for many years. It has been on stages in several countries and the sound is just lovely. I don’t think you’ll get many arguments against it on this forum.

I think you’re going to have a grand time with this. Enjoy!
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
Heady

Thank you.

Post by Heady »

Thanks :) I ordered it. I accidentally checked out as a "guest" so I won't be able to obsessively check the tracking number, but I read a lot of good things about the seller here in this forum, so I won't worry.

Can't wait :)
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

IMHO you can't go wrong with a Freeman.

He removes all the tuning quirks and voicing quirks that so many mass-produced whistles have.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle