Whistle and flute roll

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
PaulHurst
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Whistle and flute roll

Post by PaulHurst »

Have been looking for a while for a fabric (breathable) roll to take an ever-enlarging collection of whistles and flutes, the MK one was no longer available when I checked, and a USA based maker also seemed to have shut down.

Ended up ordering a handmade one in hemp, felt and linen to take 10 instruments ranging from a spare C barrel for a D Alba, through to a low C in case I buy one in future. Material and hardware were my choice, Liepa (https://www.peopleperhour.com/freelance ... er-ywqzvwa) is probably used to working with brighter fabrics (@homoalium on Instagram).

Worked out at £150 plus 'People per Hour' fees, makes it easy to keep them all together for gigs and to bring them in from a practice session down the shed, so worth it to me just for the increased security and protection.

Took a while and quite a few messages to finish the project as we worked through each stage of the project - feel free to use the same specification if you want!
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Re: Whistle and flute roll

Post by pancelticpiper »

Mine is made of padded cotton fabric. It was designed to hold whistles from high Eb to Low C, in most of the chromatic keys in between.

It has a big flap closure and a tie string which don't really show in these photos.

Now I have a huge Alba Bass A that won't fit in it.

It was made by a woman on Etsy. She doesn't list them on Etsy currently, but she can make them to order. Here's one of her listings (a skull purse!) https://www.etsy.com/listing/107426397/ ... at_1&frs=1

Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
PaulHurst

Post by PaulHurst »

Neat! Any advance on 13....?
Sequimite
Tell us something.: I've become fascinated with Irish traditional music lately. I want to use my mandolin, but I am starting on acoustic bass guitar at a local Irish trad jam.

Post by Sequimite »

I want to get one, figured I'd adapt a stick bag. Bags for drum sticks and mallets generally are around 18" long. they are designed to be hung up, usually on a floor tom for easy access. Does anyone use one of these?

Sequimite
Tell us something.: I've become fascinated with Irish traditional music lately. I want to use my mandolin, but I am starting on acoustic bass guitar at a local Irish trad jam.

Post by Sequimite »

This may be the winner. $129 but all leather and brass. Holds a dozen so I'll have to buy nine more.

https://www.amazon.com/Walker-Williams- ... ts&sr=1-37
PaulHurst

Post by PaulHurst »

I did try a stick bag with wider pockets for multiple sticks, ok for some old recorders and similar, but too short for the G and D flutes and F whistle.

Got a cheap spanner roll that takes tin whistles. Double height, so tall enough if top row not used, but pockets too narrow for the fatter ones.

Have been using a nylon case made for 4 traditional Chinese bamboo flutes, even had a pocket for the tuner. Long enough, cheap, pockets great for the flutes but limited space, even doubling up the whistles. Also, wanted a breathable fabric.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

A spanner roll might work nicely for some. Stick bags can readily be found to accommodate 20" mallets though a few only do 16" sticks.

Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

This is what I use to store a few whistles. I really don't have any use for anything much larger, one whistle hidden in a jacket pocket or camera bag suffices. I travel light as much as i can.

A guy in Poland sells these on ebay.

My brain hurts

pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I was using a drumstick/mallet bag but a Low D was too big for it.

For gigs I needed a bag that could hold everything from a high Eb to a Low C.

Are there any drumstick/mallet bags or spanner rolls big enough for a 26" Low C?

Still my roll isn't big enough for my 36" Bass A, which has its own bag.
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Walker & Williams also has a discontinued roll / bag (DSB-2, DSB-1 shown above) at $64 with pockets for eight twenty inch whistles / sticks and two utility pockets. It rolls up and goes into a canvas bag. I found one on Reverb offered for $60. As it had been for sale for five months the seller accepted my $40 offer.

an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

The Zildjian basic drumstick bag https://www.amazon.com/Avedis-Zildjian- ... B004TKU4EO
plus a couple soft washcloths holds my basic whistle set plus my Dixon three piece conic flute/lo whistle.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
RoberTunes
Tell us something.: I am a flute, guitar, keyboard + whistle player learning about quality whistles, musical possibilities and playing techniques. I've recorded a CD of my own music and am creating music for kids.

Post by RoberTunes »

That reminds me of how I stored my whistles at the house; on a socket stand from a hardware store, like this one. I put a stone on each end to keep it stable, and kept it against a wall so it didn't tip. I've been carrying around whistles and the smaller wood ethnic flutes in thick wool socks for years, maybe I aught to get one of those cases that carries 8+ whistles and accessories.

https://images11.palcdn.com/hlr-system/ ... 272817.jpg
PaulHurst

Post by PaulHurst »

For storage at home when practicing, I use a plastic peg board fixed onto the wall above a bench.. Adjustable hooks at the bottom, with paracord loops at the top.
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

Mine looks a lot like Peter's....

Got it from Pinegrove Leather. They make a smaller bag like Peter has.
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
pancelticpiper

Post by pancelticpiper »

That's the thing with Wanderer's bag: there seem to be quite a few multiples.

I don't have room for multiples. As big as my roll is there's only room for one of each key for the whistles I might need at a gig.
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle