Burke E/Eb whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
arthury
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a newbie to Irish Whistles and I own several of them, including Recorders. I'm joining the community to learn from you all.

Burke E/Eb whistle

Post by arthury »

I just got it. This is probably the best whistle I've owned.

Tone:
  • chirpy: really bird-like
  • crisp, bright and cheery
  • solid: confidently rich all the way to the last note of the 2nd octave.
  • character: sounds like a traditional whistle (not like flute or recorder)
Breath: significantly more efficient than my Chieftain

Loudness: less loud than Chieftain but the solidity made up for it. Bore is 11mm vs the 15mm in the Chieftain.

Physical: high polished brass --- what not to like. Made it look like a shiny piccolo in an orchestra. Holes are smaller than Chieftain and since the bore is narrower, I'd have to get used to it.

I think I'm sold, Mr. Burke. You did a good job.
Last edited by arthury on Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mk Pro low D | Goldie low D | Chieftain high D & alto A | Burke high {D, E} alto {B, G, F} | Freeman C | Dixon Pro high D
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: Burke E/Eb whistle

Post by kkrell »

I thought from your comments on other threads that you might like it. Now, would a high D from him suit your needs?
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
arthury
Tell us something.: I'm a newbie to Irish Whistles and I own several of them, including Recorders. I'm joining the community to learn from you all.

Post by arthury »

kkrell wrote:I thought from your comments on other threads that you might like it. Now, would a high D from him suit your needs?
I think you may be right. Now, whether I should get the narrow or the session ... hmmm.
Mk Pro low D | Goldie low D | Chieftain high D & alto A | Burke high {D, E} alto {B, G, F} | Freeman C | Dixon Pro high D
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Why do you call it an "E/Eb whistle"?

One head, two bodies for E and Eb?

In any case the 11mm (.433 inch) tubing is interesting, making that Burke, if Eb, rather narrower than the standard Generation Eb which has a .453 inch or 11.5mm bore.

In general, Burke uses wider tubing than most makers for a given key.

I would guess that's why he came out with the "narrow bore" High D whistle, to satisfy players who wanted a traditional-playing High D.

Burke's "narrow" bore corresponds to the standard bore of most other High Ds, I do believe.

I've owned both Burke High D's, the one with the unusually large ("session") bore and the one with the normal ("narrow") bore.

Like other Burkes with unusually large bores, the "session" High D is a bit too stiff in the 2nd octave for my liking.

The Burke "narrow" bore played very much like good traditional High D whistles (Generations and Feadogs etc) but having a more clean/less complex tone, and taking more air.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
arthury

Post by arthury »

That's a nice evaluation; thanks for sharing your findings, Richard.

As for my Burke whistle, I'm totally confused what I have received from Burke now. When I placed the order, I picked an Eb but when I received the whistle, it was engraved E. I've sent Mike the question. The Order receipt says E/Eb.
ecadre
Tell us something.: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post by ecadre »

arthury

Post by arthury »

arthury wrote:That's a nice evaluation; thanks for sharing your findings, Richard.

As for my Burke whistle, I'm totally confused what I have received from Burke now. When I placed the order, I picked an Eb but when I received the whistle, it was engraved E. I've sent Mike the question. The Order receipt says E/Eb.
Mike Burke confirmed that it was an E, not an Eb.
arthury

Post by arthury »

ecadre wrote:chirpy: really bird-like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM4E9enGqRc

:-? :P
ha ha ... that's crow-like. :)
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

arthury wrote: The Order receipt says E/Eb.
Maybe it's in Eb but if you blow really, really hard it plays in E.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
arthury

Post by arthury »

pancelticpiper wrote:
arthury wrote: The Order receipt says E/Eb.
Maybe it's in Eb but if you blow really, really hard it plays in E.
No, he sells an Eb as well so they are different.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

arthury wrote:
arthury wrote:That's a nice evaluation; thanks for sharing your findings, Richard.

Since you ordered the Eb (a generally more useful pitch), and supposedly received the wrong whistle, are they planning to make it right with you?
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
arthury

Post by arthury »

kkrell wrote:
arthury wrote:

Since you ordered the Eb (a generally more useful pitch), and supposedly received the wrong whistle, are they planning to make it right with you?
Yes, he admitted the mistake, which was an error on the website generating a wrong internal model # when the order was printed out for fulfillment.
And, he has done all he could to make it right. He's a good merchant.
arthury

Post by arthury »

One more additional factor to consider when choosing a whistle: the fitment of the holes to your fingers.
I find the Burke high E and narrow high D fit my fingers perfectly.
It provided an effortless & natural platform for applying a slide.
On second thought, I do not think it's just the physical hole size alone because my Dixon Pro 005 high D is also a narrow bore whistle but it did not have this characteristic.