Whistles @ Dickens Fair @ the Cow Palace, San Francisco

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Peter Duggan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Re: Whistles @ Dickens Fair @ the Cow Palace, San Francisco

Post by Peter Duggan »

benhall.1 wrote:Now that, Richard, is really interesting. I was wondering if maybe it had become Scottish in the way that Danny Boy has become Irish? (Not exactly a perfect analogy, I know.)
I'd assumed you already knew and were looking for something else. Hence my comment:
Peter Duggan wrote:takes something already more Scottish by association than origin further from even imagined trad roots.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Those Germans are pop musicians so they knew what they were doing from the "popular" end of things!

The tune is evidently irresistibly catchy to The General Public. I'm requested to play it all the time, at weddings and at funerals.

When I started playing the pipes as a Scotland supporter at USA Sevens I asked the guy in charge of the piping at Murrayfield what tunes to play when and he said Highland Cathedral as Scotland walked on to the pitch, followed by Flower Of Scotland, almost as if Highland Cathedral is regarded as a co-anthem of sorts.

In defense of the Highland Cathedral I will say that musicians coming from outwith Highland piping will sometimes recognise and exploit the unique properties of the pipes- especially the drones- in ways that never would occur to a piper.

So, Highland Cathedral starts in the key of Eb Major over the Bb Basso Ostinato; to a piper this happens without thought, but to a non-piping musician it creates tension, as their ear is powerfully drawn to the key of Bb.

Then, when the tune goes into the section section, it modulates to Bb Major, the shift being quite satisfying to the ear, as the tension which has been building is resolved.

Seems to me that to pipers the Bb drone is a given, and a piper wouldn't think of structuring a tune to imply such a shift in tonality.

(This effect is heard best when the tune is played on a solo bagpipe.)
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Katharine
Tell us something.: Something..............................................................................................

Post by Katharine »

benhall.1 wrote:Now that, Richard, is really interesting. I was wondering if maybe it had become Scottish in the way that Danny Boy has become Irish? (Not exactly a perfect analogy, I know.)
Well, I guess you could say it's "Scottish" in that it was written for and about Scotland. Possibly became popular not only because (IMO) it's a nice tune (if overdone at this point) but also I suppose because perhaps Scottish people seized on it as "a couple foreigners love our country so much they wrote a nice tune about it"?
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Peter Duggan wrote:
I'd assumed you already knew and were looking for something else. Hence my comment:
Peter Duggan wrote:takes something already more Scottish by association than origin further from even imagined trad roots.
Yes, I got that ... but only after the event, so to speak. And I did appreciate and agree with your comment.

I hadn't known the origins of this tune - nothing about it sounded Scottish to me. That was kind of ... all.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Katharine wrote: I guess you could say it's "Scottish" in that it was written for and about Scotland.
Perhaps written for and about Scotland, or perhaps titled Highland Cathedral on a whim, or for marketing purposes.

An example of the shoe being on the other foot is the tune Bulgarian Bandit, a Highland piper's attempt at a pseudo-Bulgarian tune, which suggests a total misunderstanding of the style and structure of Bulgarian music.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

pancelticpiper wrote:Perhaps written for and about Scotland, or perhaps titled Highland Cathedral on a whim, or for marketing purposes.
Full story from Michael Korb's own site:
https://highlandcathedral.com/engl.html
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Katharine
Tell us something.: Something..............................................................................................

Post by Katharine »

pancelticpiper wrote:
Katharine wrote:Perhaps written for and about Scotland, or perhaps titled Highland Cathedral on a whim, or for marketing purposes.
My understanding had always been that it was from a love of Scotland, though obviously I couldn't vouch for the credibility of the source (especially as it's been so long, I can't remember).
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.