Introduction from a new forum member

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
hengist
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have a couple of old Generation penny-whistles in my bottom drawer, and for reasons which I haven't the time to develop here, I'm now interested in learning how to play them at last (they were bought decades ago). I'm a shy player, and so I've muted the D whistle with electrical tape to diminish my anxiety; it's flattened the tuning a little, but I can live with that.

Re: Introduction from a new forum member

Post by hengist »

So, the Clarke whistle arrived this afternoon (GMT), and I love the mellow timbre. Puppy-dog that I am, "It's my new favourite thing".

I have picked-over a couple of tunes, having first read the included leaflet describing how to get a scale out of it. The C fingering was a surprise. It will take some time for my muscle memory to get the fingering worked-in, but my ear is improving all the time due to my fiddle practice.

I measured the (relative) output, using my Generation D as a reference, and it's 6 dB down at the first D, and the margin narrows progressively up to the all-holes-open. The second octave is all quieter than the Generation, but louder than its own first, as expected. The memsahib reports that it's hearable downstairs (I practice in the room above), but not intrusive if the TV is running. I have an alternative practice room, so I'm happy. Loud 'n' proud. Thank you for all the advice on breath control; I'm an experienced boatswain's call user, a device where what you do with your wind is paramount.

@DaveAuty - I live in Worthing, and there's a pub in easy walking distance (the John Seldon) which has occasional sessions; I'll check it out sometime soon. I originally intended to take up the fiddle just for my own playing pleasure, but that may change now I'm having an affair with a tin whistle (or two, three...). Certainly, being a dual-instrument musician may sway me toward playing for others, but that's a way off yet.

So, thank you all for the welcome. I hope I can help out here myself, in time.

Peter
Peter

"It is vain to do with more that which can be done with less" - William of Ockham
busterbill
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Introduction from a new forum member

Post by busterbill »

The Clark Sweetone is an under appreciated whistle. It is great at home. It is inexpensive. Kids like the colors. The finger spacing is also kid friendly. And I've heard it played a number of times at a noisy session (two banjos, one accordion, a couple of guitars and a flute with at least one bodhran) with surprising carrying power.

Have fun and enjoy the ride.

Also if you think you might be tempted by something in the for sale forum in the future you will need to have at least 3 posts I believe before you can personal message. So keep that in mind.