Phenolic resin (and other materials) safety

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
COTW
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Started in October 2018 and I’m really enjoying playing the whistle--my first instrument ever. Loving how it’s not only become a lovely hobby but introducing me to good folks and Irish history and culture. Also really enjoying the craftsman and artistry of handmade whistles. Thanks.

Phenolic resin (and other materials) safety

Post by COTW »

Hi all,
Thinking of buying a whistle made of phenolic resin. Just curious about the relative safety of these materials. I know I’m not eating the thing, but one also reads about the unhealthy effects of various plastics. Any thoughts? Is phenolic resin as safe as delrin or ABS or whatever most whistle heads are made of aside from metal?
Thanks
kkrell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: Phenolic resin (and other materials) safety

Post by kkrell »

Google says Phenolic Resin is used as the basis for Bakelite. I've not heard of any problems from those older materials.

Wiki talks about the different forms & common products:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenol_formaldehyde_resin

One Material Safety Data Sheet for Phenolic Resin states:
Formaldehyde
POTENTIAL CANCER HAZARD (A2) Based on animal data and limited epidemiological evidence, NTP and IARC have listed formaldehyde as a probable human carcinogen. OSHA regulates formaldehyde as a potential human carcinogen. May cause allergic skin reaction. Some reports suggest that formaldehyde may cause respiratory sensitization, such as asthma

Phenol
Can cause liver, kidney, bladder, and cardiac damage. Pre-existing heart or circulatory disorders may be aggravated by exposure. This material has not been listed by NTP, classified by IARC, nor regulated by OSHA as a carcinogen (A4)

Primary routes of entry: Skin and eye contact, inhalation and ingestion.

I think, however, that the hazards are mainly from the ingredients prior to stabilization in the product, dust from working the material, or when subjected to flame.

Dupont Delrin:
INHALATION - No specific intervention is indicated as the compound is not likely to be hazardous by inhalation.
SKIN CONTACT - The compound is not likely to be hazardous by skin contact, but cleansing the skin after use is advisable. If molten polymer gets on skin, cool rapidly with cold water. Do not attempt to peel polymer from skin.
EYE CONTACT - In case of contact, immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes. INGESTION - No specific intervention is indicated as compound is not likely to be hazardous by ingestion
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Phenolic resin (and other materials) safety

Post by chas »

Phenolic is used in applications that require incredibly inert, stable, low-outgassing materials (I've used it in these applications).

Yes, phenol and formaldehyde are precursors, but if you never exposed yourself to anything made with formaldehyde, you'd never set foot into a building made since about the 50's (plywood and carpeting), and phenol is a precursor to many many different kinds of plastics.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.