How to best clean a brass Copeland tin whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Tin Whistler Michael
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hey, I'm here because this is a music forum and was hoping to find a Copland tin whistle for sale. Ever since Mr Copeland stopped making whistles it's been difficult to find them anywhere, so I'm hoping I can find one for sale here

How to best clean a brass Copeland tin whistle?

Post by Tin Whistler Michael »

Hello, I'm looking for advice on how to best clean and polish a brass Copeland tin whistle(which has a tunable slide) Just so I don't damage it by using the wrong tools or polishing solution.
busterbill
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: How to best clean a brass Copeland tin whistle?

Post by busterbill »

I use Weiman's brass polish which is a liquid that rinses with water and any old rag such as a hunk of a 100% cotton T shirt, something soft and without any roughness of its own. I also never stick anything into the mouthpiece or fipple area. I only rinse the mouthpiece with warm running water after I have wiped the outside with the brass polish. Sticking things in the mouthpiece or fipple area is can be damaging, so you don't want to do it unless you have to, and most of us don't have to. Weiman's is a very kind polish that does not need any heavy rubbing and rinses off easily.

For swabbing out the tube I have a piece of chamois I sewed lengthwise onto a chop stick. But I don't stick it in the mouthpiece. I just shake the mouthpiece and let it air dry. Most of us have never learned the how handy a chamois is. I also got some craft pipe cleaners with a fluffy 1 inch diameter synthetic fuzz. I have used these to swab whistle tubes. They call them "Super Collosal Pipe Cleaners" on Amazon. You just have to be careful not to scratch the inside of the whistle with the central wire in these. (I think if would be pretty hard to scratch with the flimsy wire in these craft pipe cleaners, but not impossible, hence the warning.)