New Kerry High D whistle in the works

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Sedi
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

New Kerry High D whistle in the works

Post by Sedi »

I received my newsletter from Phil Hardy today and it seems, the new Optimas will be available soon. Also the new High D. I am very much looking forward to that one, since it was announced last year. I hope it is not as loud as the old Thunderbird High D.
https://www.kerrywhistles.com/news
RoberTunes
Tell us something.: I am a flute, guitar, keyboard + whistle player learning about quality whistles, musical possibilities and playing techniques. I've recorded a CD of my own music and am creating music for kids.

Re: New Kerry High D whistle in the works

Post by RoberTunes »

The photo of the new high D prototype looks very interesting. Can't wait to hear a demo.
Last edited by RoberTunes on Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

I wonder about the mix of materials. I once combined aluminium and brass. It didn't end well. In combination with humidity (not out of the question with a whistle, at least when it gets played) it will lead to contact corrosion. Not sure about copper but I don't think it will make a good combination either. However I'd have to look up the charts to find out if it's problematic. I have whistles that combine for example nickel silver and brass and it works fine. And I combined stainless steel (1.4301) with aluminium, which is also fine.
Sedi
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

RPereira
Tell us something.: "And the man in the rain picked up his bag of whistles,
and journeyed up the mountainside, far above the clouds,
and nothing was ever heard from him again..."

Post by RPereira »

Bi-Metallic Contacts - Galvanic Corrosion Risk:

"Bi-Metallic corrosion Galvanic Corrosion is the additional corrosion
that occurs when dissimilar metals are in contact in the presence of an electrolyte."

Table taken from here, where you read more details about this type of corrosion.
RPereira
Sedi
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

Thanks for posting. Copper and aluminium shouldn't work when combined, unless one or both are somehow coated. So I think that might be a problematic mix but I guess Phil will have thought about it and applied some kind of coating.
RoberTunes
Tell us something.: I am a flute, guitar, keyboard + whistle player learning about quality whistles, musical possibilities and playing techniques. I've recorded a CD of my own music and am creating music for kids.

Post by RoberTunes »

I like the look, sound and expressive range of that new high D whistle. Very good volume with low air requirement, with rich textured tone at all volumes. Musical!

Obviously Phil Hardy has arrived at some excellent mouthpiece designs via the Thunderbird and Optima. I'm not familiar with his earlier designs, I'm a whistle newbie. I'm guessing here off the first video of it, that the bore is a little wider than standard cheapo tin whistles, and if so, that's a feature I prefer, for the boost of tonal richness and volume. The whistle holes seem to be a good but standard size, so probably good for slides and half-holing. The notes on that demo sound very precise, and the windiness is low, totally absorbed into the tone.

The copper-with-aluminum issue > there's no source of increased electrical force, and maybe there's been extra attention to some sort of coatings, or to assure the aluminum has an oxide barrier. Over time, sweat, spit and humidity may (?) act like a corrosion facilitator between copper and aluminum, but to what degree? No doubt that's been dealt with.

Now let's Seymour online reviews and performances..........
Last edited by RoberTunes on Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

Sounds similar to my Tony Dixon aluminium, which I think has a great tone - I'd like to hear a comparison when these become available.
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
sockfish
Tell us something.: qiCJTRnGCMyujVgaKpNlzLzhrBy0AX3H8sFXjX3SnHhIZEANGdW7mchgMkDzINSZfitYoJTFi0AOwOxrJwcLiMlrcuxtlvDLAxLv

Post by sockfish »

What do you anticipate the price range for a whistle like this?
Sedi
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

The old Thunderbird high D was around 115€ in the non-tunable version. I hope this one will be a bit cheaper because of the plastic mouthpiece.
psoutowood
Tell us something.: I am a longtime piper, and have added in the few years a bunch of Irish whistles and smallpipes to my collection. Looking for new instruments and like-minded people!

Post by psoutowood »

I can't wait for this new whistle! I'm continually impressed with Phil's build quality and the tone and playability of his instruments. I'm particularly interested in the idea of low air requirements, back pressure, and volume. And yet you can blast through it? I've found this with Goldie whistles and really want it across my whole whistle key line but it's harder to find than you'd think. At the opposite end is my Killarney which takes almost no air, cannot be blown hard, volume is low, and the tone is (to my ears) extremely sharp and shrill. There's just no airiness to it. Personally I think the Killarney head on a wood body or thicker aluminum might beef it up a bit.

Maybe Phil's hit on the right combo in this new whistle? My pocketbook is complaining but I don't think I can resist trying this one out.

-Peter
Sedi
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

ecadre
Tell us something.: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post by ecadre »

Sedi wrote:More details on the construction:
https://www.kerrywhistles.com/post/wait ... 0018042104

Looks like we have an answer to the galvanic corrosion question ... o-rings.
Sedi
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

Exactly :).
ecadre
Tell us something.: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post by ecadre »

Another update with some final changes to the design apparently. In the shop next month ...

https://www.kerrywhistles.com/post/cobre-update