Just got my first whistles today

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
pancelticpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Re: Just got my first whistles today

Post by pancelticpiper »

Yes, as you say, transposing instruments.

The strange thing (perhaps) to someone coming from the 'legit' musical world, orchestral and pop and jazz, is that it's not the C whistle that's the Concert Pitch whistle, but the D whistle.

So, a Sax is named by the pitch you get when you finger thus oxo ooo

and a clarinet is named by the pitch you get when you finger thus xxx ooo

and a Boehm flute is named by the pitch you get when you finger thus xxx xxxx

but Irish flutes and whistles are named by the pitch you get when you finger thus xxx xxx

It's really arbitrary as you can see.

It's something to keep in mind, that an Irish D whistle or flute is a Concert Pitch instrument and in fact has the same notes and fingerings (mostly) as a Boehm flute in C, a Melody Sax in C, and a clarinet in G (they make them, they're big https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImMHOFb-dxY

xxx xxx is D
xxx xxo is E
xxx ooo is G
xxo ooo is A
xoo ooo is B

Same fingerings, same notes, just different naming systems.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
TheWanderer
Tell us something.: I'm in the process of buying some alto and low whistles. I already have a number of different instruments, but want to add to the array. I might even add a traditional flute too, such as a xiao or quenacho.

Post by TheWanderer »

pancelticpiper wrote:It's something to keep in mind, that an Irish D whistle or flute is a Concert Pitch instrument

Not quite true, I don't believe. They still transpose, but on the octave - much like the guitar, but the other way. I think the Low D is concert pitch, and plays exactly as written. I think I got that right...

BTW I have a bass clarinet. Now THAT'S big! If I sit on the sofa, with the clarinet sat on the floor, the mouthpiece is at eye level :o I have to sit on the stool (bench) at the keyboard to be high enough to get it in my pie hole. :D

Now that you mention it, the fingering on the whistle, is the same as the second register on the bass clarinet. That's useful for me to know. :thumbsup:
TheWanderer
Tell us something.: I'm in the process of buying some alto and low whistles. I already have a number of different instruments, but want to add to the array. I might even add a traditional flute too, such as a xiao or quenacho.

Post by TheWanderer »

... Oh, and I still need to learn "C fingering" so I can use the Bb whistle to play from the Bb clarinet songbook I have (I thought I was ordering a songbook for the bass, but messed up). Shouldn't be too tricky to learn both (I hope)
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

I play my whistles & flutes as if they were 'C' instruments, why?, because I have other instruments & it's easier for me to think in 'C'. :)

Edit:
concert pitch
an internationally agreed standard for the tuning of musical instruments, in which the note A above middle C has a frequency of 440 Hz.
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
TheWanderer

Post by TheWanderer »

fatmac wrote:I play my whistles & flutes as if they were 'C' instruments, why?, because I have other instruments & it's easier for me to think in 'C'. :)

Edit:
concert pitch
an internationally agreed standard for the tuning of musical instruments, in which the note A above middle C has a frequency of 440 Hz.
So how do you make that work, Keith? Different genres of music, or use half-holing?
fatmac

Post by fatmac »

Most of what I play is in the key of C, some in G, some in D, not many others keys, except maybe a Bb.

I cross finger mostly, but I'm not averse to half holing, if needs be.

Mainly old rock/pop tunes with some nice ballads, very little Trad Irish for me.

(I know these forums are mainly Trad Irish, but you don't have to play it.) ;)
Keith.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

TheWanderer wrote:If I played a G tune on a G whistle with G fingering, why would I run out of range?
Because G tunes don't necessarily sit between one G and the next like a simple scale (e.g. G A B C D E F# G), but more typically extend below and above (e.g. D E F# G A B C D E F# G A B), by which time you're looking at perfect D whistle range.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
TheWanderer

Post by TheWanderer »

Peter Duggan wrote:
TheWanderer wrote:If I played a G tune on a G whistle with G fingering, why would I run out of range?
Because G tunes don't necessarily sit between one G and the next like a simple scale (e.g. G A B C D E F# G), but more typically extend below and above (e.g. D E F# G A B C D E F# G A B), by which time you're looking at perfect D whistle range.
Ahhh! That makes sense. Thank you, Peter.
TheWanderer

Post by TheWanderer »

TheWanderer wrote:
fatmac wrote:You can also tape over half of the blade hole to reduce the volume.
That makes life easy. Thanks Keith
I had to nip into town today anyway, so I picked up some blu-tack while I was there. I reckon that's less likely to leave a grotty residue. Gotta be worth 99p to not have irate neighbours banging on the door :D

Thanks again to everyone for their welcomes, insights, and advice. I look forward to learning more from you all :)
TheWanderer

Post by TheWanderer »

Quick nomenclature question:

Bell note - is that the lowest note on any given whistle?

I did a search, but couldn't find the answer.
fatmac

Post by fatmac »

Yes, all holes closed.
Keith.
TheWanderer

Post by TheWanderer »

fatmac wrote:Yes, all holes closed.
Brilliant! Thank you.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

TheWanderer wrote:
pancelticpiper wrote:It's something to keep in mind, that an Irish D whistle or flute is a Concert Pitch instrument

Not quite true, I don't believe. They still transpose, but on the octave

Good point, while the D Irish flute, D uilleann chanter, and Low D whistle are all Concert Pitch the High D whistle plays one octave higher.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
TheWanderer

Post by TheWanderer »

pancelticpiper wrote:
TheWanderer wrote:

Not quite true, I don't believe. They still transpose, but on the octave

Good point, while the D Irish flute, D uilleann chanter, and Low D whistle are all Concert Pitch the High D whistle plays one octave higher.

Thanks Richard. I didn't know about the flute and chanter.

I must say, I am having fun with these two whistles. I don't expect to be amassing a great collection of them (I already have several other instruments), but there's a definite risk a low F and low D might join the array next year. :D
TheWanderer

Post by TheWanderer »

I had a quick chat via email with Yasmin at Dixon's, about the difference in responsiveness of the two whistles. She suggested I try swapping the heads around, and see if the characteristics swap over too.

I took her advice, and the A whistle was just as lively as before. No significant change on the other either. After a little more playing around with the Bb, trying to figure out why I wasn't getting the same responsiveness, I discovered it's just a little more fussy over which angle the whistle is held at (or I'm naturally holding them slightly differently).

Once that's corrected, it becomes a lot more nimble.‎ So it was purely operator error after all, although they do both seem slightly better behaved with the heads on this way for some reason. That might just be my improved awareness though. Either way, problem solved! More than that, with a little angle and embouchure management, I can actually play "all fingers down" as loud, or even slightly louder, in the lower register than the upper, which will make for better dynamics. It's gonna take a little more work on my part to be consistent though.