The most dramatic low d whistle sound

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
CPA
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I like descant recorder and treble recorder in classical music and so I like tin whistle and low whistle in folk music.

The most dramatic low d whistle sound

Post by CPA »

Which is the low D whistle that, in your opinion, is more suitable for playing dramatic music?
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Re: The most dramatic low d whistle sound

Post by Sedi »

Probably something with a higher backpressure, not too "free blowing". More resistance gives you more room for expression, like diaphragm vibrato or bendings. So a low D that jumps rather easily into the 2nd octave might not be the best choice.
Maybe a hard-blowing Goldie might be a good option. But I never played one, so I cannot say.
Surely some members who have one, will chime in.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

What is 'dramatic music'?
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Peter Duggan wrote:What is 'dramatic music'?
It's in the same bracket as 'haunting airs'.
My brain hurts

JoFo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by JoFo »

Sedi wrote:Probably something with a higher backpressure, not too "free blowing". More resistance gives you more room for expression, like diaphragm vibrato or bendings. So a low D that jumps rather easily into the 2nd octave might not be the best choice.
Maybe a hard-blowing Goldie might be a good option. But I never played one, so I cannot say.

I agree with most of the above, but would suggest, if you're after a new whistle, Chieftain Thunderbird or perhaps a Setanta whistle. They are powerful ones.
As for older ones, maybe an old (bernard) Overton or a Chieftain NR or OS.
TxWhistler
Tell us something.: I have recently retired and have always wanted to learn to play a musical instrument. I'm leaning to play the whistle and now the flute.

Post by TxWhistler »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
It's in the same bracket as 'haunting airs'.

I would say these qualify as "dramatic" and "haunting":

Eanach Dhuin on Low D Whistle – Kevin Reams
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1thjwTiQRZ0

Clan at Rest – Quinn Brothers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0Yy40I0iEI

Impromptu based on Eanach Dhuin – by a young Korean man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmI3N8zKMms
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

The most dramatic sound I ever heard a Low Whistle make was when a friend's Overton Low D kept clogging and he got so angry that he threw it down a flight of concrete steps.

It was pretty dramatic, the banging and clanging as it bounced around on its way to the bottom.

The whistle seemingly suffered no damage.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

Bernard Overton Tribute ( I think this is a Goldie low whistle, not sure). Haunting... well maybe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yxn_sNjJbRI
CPA
Tell us something.: I like descant recorder and treble recorder in classical music and so I like tin whistle and low whistle in folk music.

Post by CPA »

This one, for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1thjwTiQRZ0

It's a commemorative music of the victims of a shipwreck; the solo muscial instrument is an MK Low D whistle.

It looks like it is crying, earnestly.
CPA

Post by CPA »

Sedi wrote:Probably something with a higher backpressure, not too "free blowing". More resistance gives you more room for expression, like diaphragm vibrato or bendings. So a low D that jumps rather easily into the 2nd octave might not be the best choice.
Colin Goldie, Phil Hardy, Misha Somerville: wikipedia calls them the most respected in the low whistles business. I already use Hardy's low whistles, and I like them very much. Hardy and Goldie use construction techniques of the Overton type, Sommerville, on the other hand, has a different and completely personal construction technique: the metal is never put under pressure or twisted and this fact, in my opinion, has significant consequences on the sound of the instrument. I can't say which of these three manufacturers managed to achieve the most dramatically expressive in low D whistle but I know that, while Hardy and Sommerville make instruments with well-defined sound characteristics, Goldie, in his website, declares himself available to make customized projects listening to the needs of individual customers. This latest fact intrigues me a lot: it is as if Goldie invites customers to design, together with him, new whistles for new sounds.
psoutowood
Tell us something.: I am a longtime piper, and have added in the few years a bunch of Irish whistles and smallpipes to my collection. Looking for new instruments and like-minded people!

Post by psoutowood »

I have a Kerry Custom Pro low D that has lots of back pressure and a very soft 'airy' sound. Also an Overton low D that has a more clear, loud tone with a beautiful buzz on the edge. Both can be haunting, so maybe it's whether you want a breathy tone or a clear tone.

-Peter
stiofan
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Post by stiofan »

Goldie, Chieftain, & MKs all have the sound you're looking for, but when it comes to expressive playing (I prefer the adjective expressive to dramatic), it's really all about a player's abilities and technique, and I'd also add, commitment to learning to play slow airs well and other expressive music on the whistle. Also, a lot of recordings and YT videos will be enhanced with effects (reverb, delay, etc), so keep that in mind. What you might do is have a chat or email with Colin (phone call is best for him), Phil, and Misha and describe what you're looking for in a low D. I've played Goldies for years, I've had a couple of Chieftains (though older models), and an MK for a short time. Yes, Colin will try to tailor a whistle as much as possible to individual preferences, but some people prefer Chieftains (especially Kerry Pros) or MKs. The other maker who sometimes gets overlooked is Alba Whistles by Stacey O'Gorman, whose whistles tend to have ample chiff but a very different sound than the others.

I've been working on some of Davy Spillane's tunes for the past year or so, which (since they're not traditional), call for expressive techniques that go beyond conventional ornaments or even slow air style of playing. So again, it's really about technique and getting as creative as you can. Interestingly (and somewhat counterintuitive), I've found that the narrow-bore Goldie tenor D I have allows for the most expressive playing, though I have a lovely standard-bore Goldie that's better for some kinds of playing.

If you have the $resources$, I'd say get a whistle from each maker, spend some time with all of them (the whistles, not the makers, though that would be advantageous too!), and see how you like each for the kind of playing you're striving for. As Richard (pancelticpiper) has pointed out before, you can sell a whistle for the same or pretty close to what you paid for it. If that's not feasible (since it would take quite a bit of $$), then choose one from a maker you're familiar with and seems to fit what you're looking for in tonal characteristics, and see how it feels for you. Hope you find that perfect match!
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

CPA wrote:

It's a commemorative music of the victims of a shipwreck; the solo muscial instrument is an MK Low D whistle.

I think there is a lot of reverb on that recording. MKs are great, but in person they don't quite sound like that. I doubt any whistle does.
CPA

Post by CPA »

busterbill wrote:
CPA wrote:

I think there is a lot of reverb on that recording. MKs are great, but in person they don't quite sound like that. I doubt any whistle does.
It would be very interesting to talk about effects too: shall we open a separate speech?

CPA
CPA

Post by CPA »

stiofan wrote:Goldie, Chieftain, & MKs all have the sound you're looking for, but when it comes to expressive playing (I prefer the adjective expressive to dramatic), it's really all about a player's abilities and technique, and I'd also add, commitment to learning to play slow airs well and other expressive music on the whistle. Also, a lot of recordings and YT videos will be enhanced with effects (reverb, delay, etc), so keep that in mind. What you might do is have a chat or email with Colin (phone call is best for him), Phil, and Misha and describe what you're looking for in a low D. I've played Goldies for years, I've had a couple of Chieftains (though older models), and an MK for a short time. Yes, Colin will try to tailor a whistle as much as possible to individual preferences, but some people prefer Chieftains (especially Kerry Pros) or MKs. The other maker who sometimes gets overlooked is Alba Whistles by Stacey O'Gorman, whose whistles tend to have ample chiff but a very different sound than the others.

I've been working on some of Davy Spillane's tunes for the past year or so, which (since they're not traditional), call for expressive techniques that go beyond conventional ornaments or even slow air style of playing. So again, it's really about technique and getting as creative as you can. Interestingly (and somewhat counterintuitive), I've found that the narrow-bore Goldie tenor D I have allows for the most expressive playing, though I have a lovely standard-bore Goldie that's better for some kinds of playing.

If you have the $resources$, I'd say get a whistle from each maker, spend some time with all of them (the whistles, not the makers, though that would be advantageous too!), and see how you like each for the kind of playing you're striving for. As Richard (pancelticpiper) has pointed out before, you can sell a whistle for the same or pretty close to what you paid for it. If that's not feasible (since it would take quite a bit of $$), then choose one from a maker you're familiar with and seems to fit what you're looking for in tonal characteristics, and see how it feels for you. Hope you find that perfect match!
Excellent and in-depth informations, thanks. I agree with your ideas. I like very much Kerry Pros but I can't understand how different they really are from Goldies. Alba whistles seems to me very soft.

CPA