Tuning Arabian Whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Matthewlawson3
antispam: No

Tuning Arabian Whistle

Post by Matthewlawson3 »

I just received Erik the Flutemaker''s Arabian Penny Whistle. Very cool little whistle! It doesn't appear to be tunable though. Any thoughts on how I might be able to tune it? I emailed Erik and his reply implies a no to that question. Thanks!
Sedi
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Re: Tuning Arabian Whistle

Post by Sedi »

You can tune it sharper by partially covering the window with putty or tape or something along that lines. But it would be impossible to tune it lower without cutting it apart and installing a tuning slide. Or removing the head. AFAIK Erik uses Susato heads on normally Susato whistles are tunable by moving the head. Ist it glued in place? You could gently try to remove the glue by warming it. But careful. You might ruin a good whistle.
Matthewlawson3

Re: Tuning Arabian Whistle

Post by Matthewlawson3 »

Sedi wrote:You can tune it sharper by partially covering the window with putty or tape or something along that lines. But it would be impossible to tune it lower without cutting it apart and installing a tuning slide. Or removing the head. AFAIK Erik uses Susato heads on normally Susato whistles are tunable by moving the head. Ist it glued in place? You could gently try to remove the glue by warming it. But careful. You might ruin a good whistle.
The mouthpiece is glued in place unfortunately. I probably will leave it alone as I don't want to ruin it. It is very cool. Just sharp on the 2nd octave on some notes. I guess I could just blow less on those notes.

What is the key of the whistle? C harmonic minor?