Whistle/piccolo combination

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Chuck_Clark
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Whistle/piccolo combination

Post by Chuck_Clark »

This is a two part question. Due to severe neuropathy in the first three fingers of my right hand, I am facing serious difficulty playing a whistle. Because I have little touch sensation, getting a clean seal on the D-E-F# holes, resulting in poor or even incorrect notes. This is with both fingertip and piper's grip.

1. I recently found a website for a whistle maker producing an instrument with a whistle head on a piccolo, but I have since beenninable to find the website again. Does anybody have this information?

2. I am considering doing this on my own, fitting a whistle head to replace the piccolo headjoint. Has anybody tried thus, and can you offer and advice or cautions?

Thanks
Its Winter - Gotta learn to play the blues
Sedi
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Re: Whistle/piccolo combination

Post by Sedi »

I have such a combination from Tony Dixon. An alto A whistle with an extra flute head. I also have a smaller head for a D whistle but that is very loud. I think I wouldn't go higher than A.
I think this particular model, the alto A in alloy is no longer on the Tony Dixon homepage but you could probably get it elsewhere online.
bwat
Tell us something.: Woodwind and brass player. Interested in jazz and folk music. I'm here for the flute discussions. I really can't think of anything else to report and I have to pad this out to at least 1000 characters.

Post by bwat »

Sedi wrote:I have such a combination from Tony Dixon. An alto A whistle with an extra flute head. I also have a smaller head for a D whistle but that is very loud. I think I wouldn't go higher than A.
I think this particular model, the alto A in alloy is no longer on the Tony Dixon homepage but you could probably get it elsewhere online.
Isn’t that the opposite of what the OP wants? To be honest I’m not sure I actually understand the request. I think he’s after a whistle head on a Boehm style piccolo which is fully keyed and therefore possible for him to reliably close the holes. I could be very wrong :-?
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

I think the OP means Boehm, with keys - but if not, it will be just as hard to cover the holes of a simple system keyless flute.

There have been pictures, occasionally, of Boehm flutes with a whistle head, but I don't know of any commercial products.
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
flyingparchment
Tell us something.: i have an unhealthy obsession with flutes and thought i should try to find some other people to share my problems with! (i play a TJ Boehm-system flute and an M&E 6-key simple system flute i've just acquired, hence the interest in C&F.)

Post by flyingparchment »

Chris Abell sells whistle heads for Boehm 'C' flutes. perhaps he would be willing to make one for a picc too?
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

D'oh! That is what happens when not reading the question thoroughly enough. Of course it would make no sense with a simply system flute. I know what type of instrument he is referring to, as I also recently saw it being offered. I hope I will find it again.
Sedi
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

OBrien

Post by OBrien »

Here’s what I make: