It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:41 am 

This is a two part question. Due to severe neuropathy in the first three fingers of my right hand, I am facing serious difficulty playing a whistle. Because I have little touch sensation, getting a clean seal on the D-E-F# holes, resulting in poor or even incorrect notes. This is with both fingertip and piper's grip.

1. I recently found a website for a whistle maker producing an instrument with a whistle head on a piccolo, but I have since beenninable to find the website again. Does anybody have this information?

2. I am considering doing this on my own, fitting a whistle head to replace the piccolo headjoint. Has anybody tried thus, and can you offer and advice or cautions?

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:16 am 

I have such a combination from Tony Dixon. An alto A whistle with an extra flute head. I also have a smaller head for a D whistle but that is very loud. I think I wouldn't go higher than A.
I think this particular model, the alto A in alloy is no longer on the Tony Dixon homepage but you could probably get it elsewhere online.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:29 am 

Sedi wrote:
I have such a combination from Tony Dixon. An alto A whistle with an extra flute head. I also have a smaller head for a D whistle but that is very loud. I think I wouldn't go higher than A.
I think this particular model, the alto A in alloy is no longer on the Tony Dixon homepage but you could probably get it elsewhere online.

Isn’t that the opposite of what the OP wants? To be honest I’m not sure I actually understand the request. I think he’s after a whistle head on a Boehm style piccolo which is fully keyed and therefore possible for him to reliably close the holes. I could be very wrong :-?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:30 am 

I think the OP means Boehm, with keys - but if not, it will be just as hard to cover the holes of a simple system keyless flute.

There have been pictures, occasionally, of Boehm flutes with a whistle head, but I don't know of any commercial products.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:36 am 

Chris Abell sells whistle heads for Boehm 'C' flutes. perhaps he would be willing to make one for a picc too?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:41 am 

D'oh! That is what happens when not reading the question thoroughly enough. Of course it would make no sense with a simply system flute. I know what type of instrument he is referring to, as I also recently saw it being offered. I hope I will find it again.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:43 am 

Maybe this:
http://www.obrienwhistles.com/OBPWwhisolo.html

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:51 pm 

Here’s what I make: