Whistle duet : Nicky & Anne McAuliffe - 1976

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Whistle duet : Nicky & Anne McAuliffe - 1976

Post by kenny »

I can't ever think of a better duet on 2 tin whistles. The Kerry 6-part version of "Kiss The Maid Behind The Barrel" [ which really should be played more ] - played by Co. Kerry musicians Nicky and Anne McAuliffe - 1976 :
https://youtu.be/nc_mzms2AZU
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
Mr.Gumby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Whistle duet : Nicky & Anne McAuliffe - 1976

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Champions on tour :wink:

They are always a great duet, whatever instruments they play (and between them, they play quite a few).

Interesting enough, they played the six part Maid at the whistle/flute concert at the Willie this year. Lovely as always and I was a bit miffed I couldn't record it because, as I discovered, my phone had stayed at home (I had gone down with a migraine earlier in the day, in mid tune, my head was a bit of a mess that night).

Image Image
My brain hurts

bwat
Tell us something.: Woodwind and brass player. Interested in jazz and folk music. I'm here for the flute discussions. I really can't think of anything else to report and I have to pad this out to at least 1000 characters.

Post by bwat »

Any relation to to the flautist and whistler Orlaith?
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

According to an interview with her, no:
My mum grew up in Killarney in Co. Kerry and learnt to play the Tin Whistle and Button Accordian with renowned teachers Nicky and Anne McAuliffe (of no relation to me!!!).
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Joe Burke and Jackie Daly both over and over again say the same thing about the old tunes: they're great but it's hard to get new parts for them. After playing the regular four part version of this tune for more than thirty five years I had been meaning to learn this version for some time. Kenny's posting pushed me over the edge (even if I had the recording for donkey's years on the lp). It's absolutely purring with the new parts. :thumbsup:
My brain hurts