Exotic Instruments

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
stiofan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Re: Exotic Instruments

Post by stiofan »

A bit surprised no one (especially the mods) has mentioned it yet, but there's a forum dedicated to 'World/Folk Winds' : viewforum.php?f=20
Seems like it may have some of what you're looking for as 'exotic.'

Meanwhile...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iA9NYzLfr8
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Nanohedron wrote: it is indeed found among the extensive array of Arabian modes, and is named Hijaz, I believe. It is also a Hebrew mode called Ahava Rabbah, and is found in the familiar melody to Hava Nagila. It's the scale you hear when Western soundtracks want to sound Arabian-ish and not hire an expert instead...
I've always been calling it Hijaz, good to know the Hebrew name.

The Armenian tune I posted above is also in that mode.

BTW that mode can be played on a keyless uilleann chanter; it's built in, oddly enough, as follows

B C D# E F# G A
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

pancelticpiper wrote:BTW that mode can be played on a keyless uilleann chanter; it's built in, oddly enough, as follows

B C D# E F# G A
Well, I'll be. I suppose you'd have to have a good reed, though, to hang out in the stratosphere like that.

For the mad scientist, there's always the Zeusaphone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3fJKI-TF9c
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Tor

Post by Tor »

Nanohedron wrote: For the mad scientist, there's always the Zeusaphone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3fJKI-TF9c
Aaah, they even sell them! $4495 for that model. Or I could go for a basic version of the zx-160 at $8900. There's a more affordable smaller model at $1900, but although my wife is extremely tolerant about musical instruments this one may not be allowed into the living room. But I wouldn't say no if I were offered one.