Anak Whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Andro
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Beginning flute and whistle player. Starting out seriously in Irish Traditional Music. Also interested in flute making.

Anak Whistles

Post by Andro »

Anybody have any experience of this chap's whistles?

https://anakwhistles.blogspot.com/

He says the heads are ebony but they look like painted hardwood to me.

[This is not an advertisement.]
iain beag
Tell us something.: I play various instruments, Highland pipes, Border pipes, uilleann pipes, smallpipes, flute (badly) and trying to learn mandolin.

Re: Anak Whistles

Post by iain beag »

I have a low D by Anak and I really like it.
The head on mine is African Blackwood but there are other options.
Over the years I've had a few low D's - an Alba. Donald Gruern, MK pro and now the Anak. Nothing wrong with the other whistles but I prefer the Anak, it just suits me better than the others.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Andro wrote:Anybody have any experience of this chap's whistles?

https://anakwhistles.blogspot.com/

He says the heads are ebony but they look like painted hardwood to me.

[This is not an advertisement.]
Many woods are called ebony these days, and vary in color. It's harder to get the pure black woods, and many guitar fretboards & bridges are now dyed black.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

We have to be aware that international shipping for wood items is tricky.

The list of banned woods is always getting longer.

An exemption for musical instruments is supposed to be happening, I don't know where that process is.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Andro
Tell us something.: Beginning flute and whistle player. Starting out seriously in Irish Traditional Music. Also interested in flute making.

Post by Andro »

The CITES restriction on Blackwood for musical instruments has been lifted at the last meeting, recently, after many years of waiting. The new regime comes into effect internationally mid November 2019.
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

I haven’t played one, but was interested in them for a while. The research I did at the time led me to the conclusion that these tend to be at the high end of the backpressure spectrum. I know this isn’t objectively a pro or con, but if you like lower backpressure it’s probably not for you. This is why I ultimately passed on them, since my personal tastes go to the other end of the spectrum. They certainly seem well-made, though.
khl
Tell us something.: Longtime member of Chiff and Fipple. I own/have owned more whistles than a person should, I think. But I’m not complaining.

Post by khl »

I have a Low C and Low D that I bought direct from them. Plus a high D I bought from someone on the board here. Very nice whistles, though I like the low more than the high ones. If you go to the instagram site, you can see/hear videos of the whistles being played, mostly by the wife, though there are some others also. (I think she does most of the communicating and running of the sales kind of thing.) The whistles truly do sound like they sound in the clips :)

Aluminium body with ebony head (black, though here and there with brown coloring).

Medium volume, woody/resonant tone, good tuning. (There was a post on these whistles a year ago or so.)
Keith