It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:07 am 

The Aberdeen branch of the Traditional Music and Song Association of Scotland are presenting a concert in memory of Scottish whistle player Alex Green on Friday 8th Nov. 2019.
The concert will be held in "The Lemon Tree", 5 West North Street, Aberdeen, from 8.00 to 11.00pm.

"A concert to celebrate the life of Alex Green [ 1930 - 2017 ], one of Scotland's greatest exponents of the tin whistle, with his family, friends, fellow musicians and singers".

Tickets are available online now :

https://www.aberdeenperformingarts.com/ ... tland/2410

Performers : Aly Bain & Phil Cunningham
Carol Anderson and Martin MacDonald - Aileen Carr - Danny Couper - Jimmy Hutchison - Sara Reith -
Matthew Miller and Charlie Webster - Geordie Murison - Les Wheeler - Kenny Hadden

https://youtu.be/NUnlV53bMWM

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:39 am 

PS - and I should have mentioned that the whole evening will be "MC-ed" by that superb Aberdeen singer, Janice Clark.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:18 am 

Sounds like a great night. I wish I could make it up from Glasgow. You never know.
Alex’s playing is so unique.
I noticed in the wee video he does something I’ve tried to do with that I’ve not really seen other players do.
I’ve seen some players do the ‘swipe’ as I call it on C sharp. Essentially you swipe up over the holes with one hand to cut the C sharp in a few places.
I do this on A occasionally in scottish tunes swiping up with the bottom hand. Alex seems to do the same at 26-27 seconds in.
Just nice to hear another player do it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:59 am 

Heard a couple of nights ago that 2/3 of tickets have already been sold, so it's looking good for a great night's music.
Have to admit, I've never noticed Alex doing a "swipe" on C#. I've been doing it for years, but swiping down the way, which I think was the way I learned to do it from John Skelton. If you get a chance to hear him playing "Hair Of The Dog" - it's on "iTunes", - that's about the best I've ever heard it done.