Goldfinch AiryTale Whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Fledge
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Novice wind instrument player coming from a background in ocarinas. I'm interested in the tin whistle because of it's rich, sentimental sound and greater range.

Goldfinch AiryTale Whistle?

Post by Fledge »

Hi all pleased to make your acquaintances, I'm new to tin whistles coming from an ocarina background and am wondering if anyone has ever tried Goldfinch's AiryTale whistle? I'm looking to get a mid-tier high D whistle and I kinda liked the sound of the AiryTale, you can see and hear them on their website: http://www.goldfinch.eu/high-whistles/ Their normal high D whistle sounds good to me as well. I wanted to find reviews and opinions but they seem to be few and far to come by.

I'm also leaning towards either a Chris Wall or Freeman, anyone have a preference or other suggestion? Thanks!
Last edited by Fledge on Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr.Gumby

Re: Goldfinch AiryTale Whistle?

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Try it this way : Goldfinch whistles

You had a few " upsetting your link.
My brain hurts

ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

Welcome to the forum. Here is a link to an older thread about Goldfinch whistles. Enjoy your whistling.

viewtopic.php?p=1159604#p1159604
Fledge
Tell us something.: Novice wind instrument player coming from a background in ocarinas. I'm interested in the tin whistle because of it's rich, sentimental sound and greater range.

Post by Fledge »

Mr. Gumby: Thank you for the tip, I've edited it now.
ytliek: Thank you for the link, it was nice to learn Goldfinch is a father/son operation. The video of Marcin Ruminski playing was very lovely to hear as well, very pure, clean with a subtle airiness, and not squeakiness at all jumping to higher octaves.

Still, I'd love to hear other people's personal experience with these, I wonder if the father/son team would consider sending a review whistle to a YouTube reviewer, like CutiePie or whistletutor. And I'm still also considering the Freeman and Chris Wall whistles, so many options but honestly they all seem like fine choices.
Michael w6
Tell us something.: I have played bagpipes for several years. Open heart surgery in 2014 took me out for several months and I have not yet returned. I have begun to pursue the penny whistle instead. I'm looking for advice and friends in this new instrument.

Post by Michael w6 »

I really like my Airy Tale. Well crafted and a very good price. An hour or so ago I purchased my second whistle from Goldfinch, a Low C. There are some YT reviews which you may like.
A moment of carelessness, a lifetime of regret.
A lifetime of carelessness, a moment of regret.
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

I am also interested in the airy tale. How does it compare to other whistles in volume? I prefer my whistles on the quiet side.
Michael w6
Tell us something.: I have played bagpipes for several years. Open heart surgery in 2014 took me out for several months and I have not yet returned. I have begun to pursue the penny whistle instead. I'm looking for advice and friends in this new instrument.

Post by Michael w6 »

@Fledge - The idea of a YT review is a good one. It may be worth forwarding to Goldfinch.
Last edited by Michael w6 on Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael w6

Post by Michael w6 »

@Sedi - Volume may be a difficult thing to quantify accurately. I'd say the Airy Tale is mid range. It is certainly quitter than Susato or whistles deemed "session bore." I have a small home and I'm quite comfortable playing the Airy in my living room. I'd be surprised if you'd find this whistle too loud.
Michael w6

Post by Michael w6 »

@Sedi - I'll add this. I recently received a Bb from Becker whistles. It has a fairly large bore but is still surprising quiet. I suspect his other whistles are the same.
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

Thanks Michael for the valuable info! Might have to pull the trigger on one of those. The standard model sounds great in videos on YT. I found this one (one heck of a player--he could probably sound good on anything)--but that is the normal version, not the "airy tale".
https://youtu.be/w9VJ_NRpDdg