Robin Williamson's Penny Whistle Book

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Derek Blackwell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Robin Williamson's Penny Whistle Book

Post by Derek Blackwell »

Informal Survey - What should people know about Robin Williamson's Penny Whistle Book? If you'd like my opinion here is it, but I'd rather hear yours.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=109246&start=15#p1222777
Mr.Gumby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Robin Williamson's Penny Whistle Book

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I had this, and his fiddle tune book, on loan from a library around 1980. My memory is probably conflating the two books to an extend but I remember his output as 'folkie', not dealing in any detail with music I was interested in. I returned both books quickly without finding much of interest in them. Ddin't do anything for me and left not much of an impression, although I seem to remember I learned the 'City of Savannah' from the fiddle book, which wasn't of much use in the long term either.

I'd say the book is of its time, and perhaps best left there, in 1979/80 I also worked my way through an Armagh pipers club whistle tutor and got a lot of finer points from that, very beneficial at the time.
My brain hurts

fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

I've ordered a pre used copy from Abe Books on the strength of what you said in your post.

I'm not into ITM personally, which so many whistle tutors are concerned with, so look forward to something different.
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
bwat
Tell us something.: Woodwind and brass player. Interested in jazz and folk music. I'm here for the flute discussions. I really can't think of anything else to report and I have to pad this out to at least 1000 characters.

Post by bwat »

fatmac wrote: I'm not into ITM personally, which so many whistle tutors are concerned with, so look forward to something different.
Same here. I don’t dislike ITM but I just don’t have a passion for it (no disrespect to those who do). I’ve got enough ITM tunes in method books and the like to last a lifetime. I’m all Irished out! I’d like to hear about other folk music. It would be nice to have a discussion about these things so that the better informed can introduce the likes of me to literature which would open the door to new and exciting things.

Sorry for going off-topic but I think more review threads like this would be a good thing.
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kenny »

If you want to play the whistle like Robin Williamson, it's perfect.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

@bwat
If you like folk tunes, (& can read notation), check out Songs & Dances Of England/Scotland by Wise Publications, I have both books.
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
Michael w6
Tell us something.: I have played bagpipes for several years. Open heart surgery in 2014 took me out for several months and I have not yet returned. I have begun to pursue the penny whistle instead. I'm looking for advice and friends in this new instrument.

Post by Michael w6 »

@bwat - "Whistle Around The World" L.E. McCullough is a tune book you may like. 50 tunes from about 40 countries. (Oak Publications)
A moment of carelessness, a lifetime of regret.
A lifetime of carelessness, a moment of regret.
Michael w6
Tell us something.: I have played bagpipes for several years. Open heart surgery in 2014 took me out for several months and I have not yet returned. I have begun to pursue the penny whistle instead. I'm looking for advice and friends in this new instrument.

Post by Michael w6 »

I have very much liked Robin's tune book. It was a good introductory book when I first was dabbling with the whistle. Some basic tunes to get one started and some more challenging tunes once one has some basic skills. I also enjoyed the historic and explanatory notes. Most tune books are just that, the notation. The added historic notes make the tunes more interesting.

I have recently purchased another book by Robin, "The Wise and Foolish Tongue." Poems and tales. Mixed feelings with this one.
A moment of carelessness, a lifetime of regret.
A lifetime of carelessness, a moment of regret.