Collection of whistles on eBay UK

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Collection of whistles on eBay UK

Post by BigDavy »

Doing my usual eBay trawls and saw this.
Whistle collection - UK only

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
fatmac
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Re: Collection of whistles on eBay UK

Post by fatmac »

I'd be interested in the 'A', maybe the 'Bb', that's the trouble with selling 'collections', too often there are more you don't want than you do. :wink:
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BigDavy »

fatmac wrote:I'd be interested in the 'A', maybe the 'Bb', that's the trouble with selling 'collections', too often there are more you don't want than you do. :wink:
Too true fatmac. I would have fancied the C Carbony on its own.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
whistlecollector

Post by whistlecollector »

BigDavy wrote:
fatmac wrote:I'd be interested in the 'A', maybe the 'Bb', that's the trouble with selling 'collections', too often there are more you don't want than you do. :wink:
Too true fatmac. I would have fancied the C Carbony on its own.

David
Perhaps a group could form to decide on prices & divvy up the whistles? Pay a fellow group member for the whistles you want and that person places a bid on the lot and distributes on delivery.

Alternatively, perhaps if three or four Chiffers approach the seller saying "I'm interested in this, but not the lot", perhaps they could be persuaded to break up the collection. Makes sense, since right in this thread at least half the whistles have the potential to be sold!
-- A tin whistle a day keeps the racketts at bay.

-- WhOAD Survivor No. 11373
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

"pristine...collected...cherished...hardly played..."

It would be difficult to gather five words as antithetical to how my instruments are used and thought of.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
whistlecollector

Post by whistlecollector »

pancelticpiper wrote:"pristine...collected...cherished...hardly played..."

It would be difficult to gather five words as antithetical to how my instruments are used and thought of.
Ha!

I always have in mind a road-scuffed roll-up of slightly battered and finger-worn instruments. Possibly involving some tape or other quick-fix supplies. But each singing beautifully!
-- A tin whistle a day keeps the racketts at bay.

-- WhOAD Survivor No. 11373
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Maybe it's me, but the poor English on that eBay listing makes me suspicious.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Maybe it's me
I don't know about that but I am always a bit wary of the reasoning that goes 'it's not so great English', too often followed by the suggestion or implication 'it must be a foreigner and therefore it must be a scam'.

The seller's feedback profile lists several musical instruments (among other things) sold in the past year, showing typos etc in previous listings of the same magnitude as those in the present one. Feedback was positive. Make of that what you will.
My brain hurts

niallt

Post by niallt »

I decided to go for it and bought them. I paid with PayPal, so that offers some protection if this is a scam and the package contains 6 blank PVC tubes.

The girlfriend wasn't too impressed when she saw that I was on eBay buying more whistles....

I'll keep you informed when (if) they arrive.

Cheers, Niall
Tyler DelGregg
Tell us something.: Whistles are fun, whistles are charming, whistles sound nice, whistles are affordable, whistles make us smile, whistles make dogs bark, and whistles upset some neighbors.

Post by Tyler DelGregg »

I just took a look at it out of curiosity. That is a very reasonable price for those whistles. I hope you enjoy them. People pay a lot more for weird stuff on line. But whistles... worth every penny.
niallt

Post by niallt »

niallt wrote:I decided to go for it and bought them. I paid with PayPal, so that offers some protection if this is a scam and the package contains 6 blank PVC tubes.

The girlfriend wasn't too impressed when she saw that I was on eBay buying more whistles....

I'll keep you informed when (if) they arrive.

Cheers, Niall
Whistles arrived and they are perfect. The seller was a nice guy, who seems to have had a whistle purchasing compulsion (like many of us here), but wasn't able to play them because of an illness that has forced him to move on to a non-woodwind instrument. They are pristine.

Shipping was complicated, because the seller wasn't the most computer literate guy, and couldn't arrange courier shipping to my destination. I had to book the shipping myself and paid for it myself, on the understanding that the seller would reimburse me. True to his word, he put a sterling £20 note in the package (he couldn't work out PayPal or bank transfers...). Unfortunately I don't live in a sterling zone, but I suppose I'll hang on to it to buy a few pints the next time I visit the UK.

I don't think I'll keep the Dixon Bb. Still haven't decided which of the others to keep. The Killarney was the surprise gem of the bunch. My first time to play a Killarney and I was amazed at the tone, quality, speed, tuning, etc. Incredible value for money and the whistle I'll be recommending in the future to anyone looking to upgrade from a beginner's whistle.