mic technique?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
The apostol
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have started whistling 2 months ago. Now Im searching for more information about whistles and find out that this should be the place to look for it

mic technique?

Post by The apostol »

Hi lads,

this has been asked some times I guess.. Still I didnt find proper answers..

I am planning to record some songs with whistles, low and high. I have a large diaphragm condenser microphone (MXL 770) to do the job. I tried some recording with the low d, and wasnt happy with the results.

So, how to properly mic a whistle? Maybe in front of the fipple isnt the best way since a lot of breath noise and stuff will be recorded. Maybe little bit above the whistle and mic pointing downwards? What about the distance?

Thanks for any insights.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Re: mic technique?

Post by fatmac »

I only tried recording a whistle once, a low D, & I used a USB mic plugged into my computer, about 12" away from the middle of the whistle, It came out sounding OK.
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
RoberTunes
Tell us something.: I am a flute, guitar, keyboard + whistle player learning about quality whistles, musical possibilities and playing techniques. I've recorded a CD of my own music and am creating music for kids.

Post by RoberTunes »

I've recorded a variety of instruments through high sensitivity studio mics. With instruments like flute and whistle, that have a narrow zone of air and sound coming out of them at high pressure, you should try to aim the instrument a little off to the side, rather than directly aiming at the microphone. The possibility of the mic getting hit with an air pressure wave, is a different physical effect than the "loudness" or volume of the sound out of the instrument. Large diaphragm mics don't like close-range high pressure waves of air. The same problem can happen with percussion instruments. The microphones will likely need to be adjusted for volume/gain, once you find the preferred position to approach them at. I'd suggest a distance of about 8 inches away from the mic to start, but it remains for you to find what result you want.

Explore options by trying them out. You might find slightly different audio quality, EQ or compression effects showing up with different distances from the mic, and different angles of aim. Super-close proximity to the mic might add a compression effect, and further away may open up the sense of presence and flatten out the dynamics a little, which you may want. If you record a player using a high dynamic range (volume low to high), that can cause headaches later, if miked too closely, when you want to keep the natural sound and not use software compression much, and retain natural room ambience originally captured. A low-dynamics player might be miked very closely.

Experiment. But I fear that one consistent danger you'll find is to record too close (within about 6 inches of the mic) and aiming directly at the mic. Give it a try. When using stage/dynamic mics, things are different. A standard Shure SM-58 or SM-57 reacts very differently than a Rode NTK or Neumann or any other quality studio mic. From what I've seen people consistently play very close to stage mics, as in, within 5 inches, and it sounds fine, as long as they don't blast the mic with a pressure wave or gobs of enthusiastic spit.
calanthrophy

Post by calanthrophy »

I'll second the suggestion above that experimentation will be needed. For anecdotal info, I use a Shure SM57 and record with the mic about 6-12 inches away from the whistle and pointed just below the fipple to avoid too much "air/wind noise."
My acoustic recordings (with whistles, of course):
https://soundcloud.com/jake_thiele
Words I write:
http://jakeisalwaysright.blogspot.com
AngelicBeaver
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistles since 2010. I love how varied whistles are in their design, construction, tone, and handling. Though I've largely settled on what I enjoy playing, I'm still a sucker for an interesting new design.

Post by AngelicBeaver »

I have a CAD U37 usb microphone that's worked pretty well for voice, but I've never recorded whistle noises I was happy with. The problem, for me, is that the second octave always clips unless I record from 10 feet back. I don't have a lot of experience with microphones, but it might be that since this one doesn't have a gain dial, I can't turn it down enough to fit the loudest parts into the recording.
Nathaniel James Dowell
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

I can't speak for sure what works as it is particular to your situation. Here is one method that seems to work.

AngelicBeaver
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistles since 2010. I love how varied whistles are in their design, construction, tone, and handling. Though I've largely settled on what I enjoy playing, I'm still a sucker for an interesting new design.

Post by AngelicBeaver »

I tried taping mushrooms to my whistles, but it doesn't improve the recording quality at all.
Nathaniel James Dowell
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

How about a mic for whistle(s) and mic for voice? Seems to work well for recordings.

Image Image Image