Whistle Tune Composition

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Bretton
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Whistle Tune Composition

Post by Bretton »

Not sure if anyone else will actually be interested in this, but I thought I'd share.

I was bored the other night and decided to try writing my own music. I had trouble getting started, so I generated several random melodies using this random melody generator:

https://www.link.cs.cmu.edu/melody-generator/

I picked out the one I liked best, tweaked it quite a bit to make sure it fit the whistle's range and key limitations, and then made versions of it in D major, B minor, G major, and E minor.

Here's the MP3 (MIDI computer music, not me playing) and a PDF of the dots.

https://bobbi.ivytech.edu/~bpfingst/Randomish.pdf

https://bobbi.ivytech.edu/~bpfingst/Randomish.mp3

-Brett
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Re: Whistle Tune Composition

Post by Peter Duggan »

Bretton wrote:and then made versions of it in D major, B minor, G major, and E minor.
It's just not the route to satisfying structure.

So how about trying a simple binary form taking the first line as your A section, repeating that, then trying to match it up with a repeated B section where you've got more contrast of melodic material?
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
whistlecollector

Post by whistlecollector »

Bretton wrote:I picked out the one I liked best, tweaked it quite a bit to make sure it fit the whistle's range and key limitations, and then made versions of it in D major, B minor, G major, and E minor.
Nice motifs. Now let's hear you make something of them! :poke:
-- A tin whistle a day keeps the racketts at bay.

-- WhOAD Survivor No. 11373
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Bretton wrote: ...writing my own music...using a random melody generator...
Sorry but isn't that self-contradictory?

Perhaps try writing your own music using only yourself as the melody generator, and see what happens.

A guy in my band, who knows nothing about composition, wrote a jig that's fairly catchy.

The only problem is that he doesn't understand the structure of tunes, the question-and-answer aspect. Change one bar and his tune is a nice trad-sounding jig.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

Peter Duggan wrote: So how about trying a simple binary form taking the first line as your A section, repeating that, then trying to match it up with a repeated B section where you've got more contrast of melodic material?
Yes, although I was thinking the other way around...it kind of sounded like the B part of a tune to me. I'm going to keep working on it. Thanks for the feedback.

-Brett
Bretton

Post by Bretton »

Bretton wrote: ...writing my own music...using a random melody generator...
pancelticpiper wrote: Sorry but isn't that self-contradictory?
Well, I was coming at it from a Surrealist viewpoint (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surrealist_techniques), which is something I also do with writing poetry. I use random word generators to generate a dozen words and the write a poem around them. Or, grab a book off the shelf and flip it open to several pages and poke my finger down on a word without looking until I have a collection of them and write a poem around those.

In either case I guess you could argue that I didn't "write" the music/poem, but it certainly wouldn't exist without my input.

-Brett