It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:41 pm 

The latest release of WIDesigner, wind instrument design software, has a number of improvements for modelling whistles and flutes, including:
  • Simplified single-step calibrators that work with either min/max frequencies or measured playing frequencies.
  • More powerful optimizers for the bore profile of whistle heads and whistle bodies.
  • Enhanced tonehole model, with an allowance for the presence of a finger closing the hole.

This new release, available at https://github.com/edwardkort/WWIDesigner/releases/latest, should be installed as a new, full installation. Because of the changes to the tonehole model we recommend you re-calibrate instruments you already have on file.

Some of the changes arose in the course of C&F threads on PVC flute temperament, Fixing octave tuning for a Killarney whistle, and complex bore of R&R flutes. My sincere thanks to Terry, paddler, Geoffrey, Andro, Hans, and the other C&F members who contributed their ideas.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:20 am 

Thank you! I look forward to trying it out (PVC flute design).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:43 pm 

That's good news. I really like that the word "simplified" is in the description, if only in one aspect.

WIDesigner looks like a magnificent programme with amazing potential for minimising time spend on making prototypes, but I found it quite bamboozling when I tried to learn it about a year ago. Many unfamiliar terms in each window, with no glossary, and explanations perhaps somewhere in the articles about it, and it was very unclear to me how the different windows communicated with each other.

So for someone who is not a programmer or familiar with a lot of technical acoustic terminology, I found it too steep a mountain to climb in its last incarnation. There are evidently large potential benefits though, so maybe I'll give it another go.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:27 am 

Good point about the glossary. I'll see about setting one up. Let me know if there are particular terms or pages you are having trouble with.

Your comment about windows communicating with each other suggests you may be trying out the tuning wizard to create a tuning file. That may not be the best place to start. Better to start with sample whistle tunings and instruments supplied with the release, and play around with them for a while.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:02 pm 

Thanks Tunborough. That's very good to hear re glossary. Been too long since I looked at it to remember which terms were difficult. Sometimes it wasn't the dictionary meaning of the terms, but how they worked in context, such as the requirement to enter a number but I didn't understand what the range of numbers represented, so perhaps a glossary could be organised window by window rather than alphabetically.

I like the advice to start with the sample tunings and instruments. I did indeed try to start from scratch last time. Sometime over the next week I should have time to have another look at it, and I'll let you know how I go.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:39 pm 

Here we go, a Glossary. For now, it covers mostly the names we use for instrument dimensions. Let me know if there are any other terms you are struggling with.