Flageolet!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Sequimite
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've become fascinated with Irish traditional music lately. I want to use my mandolin, but I am starting on acoustic bass guitar at a local Irish trad jam.

Flageolet!

Post by Sequimite »

I got into Irish music with my mandolin. I've been going through Grey Larsen's book but as my embouchure is undeveloped I determined to put the flute aside and bought a whistle from Larry Lazard. While waiting for it to arrive I beheld the flageolet.(work with me here, you know what I mean) I just bought it and am now waiting for it to cross the Atlantic and the width of the USA. No great point here. It's just that I am so new to this I didn't know these existed and am sharing in my twin excitements of discovery and purchase. Apologies to anyone here who might have also been bidding on it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-WOODEN ... true&rt=nc

Last edited by Sequimite on Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Re: Flageolet!

Post by plunk111 »

You'll need to find a "beak" (i.e. the blow-tube) and repair the cracks, but it should be fun...

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

Fascinating. Good luck with it and post a soundclip
Sequimite
Tell us something.: I've become fascinated with Irish traditional music lately. I want to use my mandolin, but I am starting on acoustic bass guitar at a local Irish trad jam.

Post by Sequimite »

In my research several sources stated that it will play just fine as is. I'm not much of a woodworker but I think I may try to make a new beak. The several sources also say that the vast majority of English flageolets are key of D and many can be played A440 so I have my fingers crossed.

I literally had never seen one of these before. I was looking at a wooden flute on ebay and hit the "See other items" button and upon seeing it checked my Grey Larson book and started googling.

For sound clip check out Jem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2jQHShRSfw

and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o31VMOm ... -1VsF63u3k
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

The opening for the beak is 11/32 inches or 8.7mm. I found ebonite vulcanized pipe(tobacco) stems that have tenons of 10mm exterior and 8.4 to 9mm interior. 11/32" brass tube is readily available so I'm thinking I'll cut the tenon off the pipe stem and secure a piece of brass tube in it. One nice thing about pipe stems is they come in straight or curved in various lengths.

StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

For historical interest see viewtopic.php?t=8576 :)
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Love-it StevieJ! Missing is Pepys note on playing "Merrily Kiss the Quaker's Wife" for Charles II and Charles' mistress for a dance in chambers. :D

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

I'm a huge reader and have been gratified by all the historical characters who played this instrument. Your link does pique my interest.

Robert Louis Stevenson is the best known flageolet player and unlike Pepys he used the English flageolet.

Last edited by Sequimite on Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
tstermitz

Post by tstermitz »

Not knowing what botargo was, I had to ask Mr Google.

Apparently it is not "expensive salty, fishy nastiness":

https://adambalic.typepad.com/the_art_a ... targo.html
whistlecollector

Post by whistlecollector »

You won't actually need a beak to play the flageolet. I've had several, and only one had a beak. Historically, it was not unknown to do away with the windcap entirely and cut an angle piece away from the exposed wind channel. You'd end up with a recorder like mouthpiece.

Yours is in pretty nice shape and a small piece of appropriately carved delrin would make a nice replacement beak if you were thinking along the line of replacing.

Be sure to check the pads when you receive it! If they're no longer sealing the holes, a local wind instrument repair shop should be able to replace them very easily.
-- A tin whistle a day keeps the racketts at bay.

-- WhOAD Survivor No. 11373
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

I've read testimony that it is easier to get higher octaves without the beak. I'm going to try as many variations as I can from no mouth piece, to a brass tube, to pipe stem with various sized air passages. On Flageolets.com The model I bought is the lower one in the photo titled: “Standard” English Flageolets. These six hole simple system flageolets were popular in England during the last half of the 19th century.

whistlecollector

Sequimite wrote:I've read testimony that it is easier to get higher octaves without the beak. I'm going to try as many variations as I can from no mouth piece, to a brass tube, to pipe stem with various sized air passages.
I think a nice antique pipe stem would work nicely! Some were quite decorative and possibly even ivory!

Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

LUCKED OUT!!

Repeatedly blowing an A, my tuner registered 885 - 890 with the tuning slide all the way in.

All the keys work well and there is little if any leakage.

Ebonite! I haven't seen it before but the perfectly black, grainless material doesn't seem like it could be wood.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

With a couple a files I narrowed a corn cob pipe stem until it fit. Piccolo is an E flat.

whistlecollector

Lovely!

Ebonite?

I'm guessing you mean the tobacco pipe mouthpiece? The flageolet is certainly wood!