Air Blade?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Polara Pat
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: In an effort to ease from lurker to forum member; I'm hoping that this elite gang of whistlers will help this very green player to advance to the next stage. My current stage is slightly below novice and is only permitted in the garage like the dog I am. Oh yah, not a robot.

Air Blade?

Post by Polara Pat »

I'm sure that someone will correct me on this but I wasn't sure what to call them. Here are a few of my tweaked whistles that have small piece of material glued to the inside of the mouth piece to shorten the windway and cut the air. (enter f*rt joke here) See, I'm back to "air blade".

Just curious what material people are using? I'm hoping to do a bit of experimenting on a few cheapie whistles I have kicking around and could use some advice.

ImageIMG_9481 by Pat McInnis, on Flickr
retired
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Air Blade?

Post by retired »

PP - what are you using and what have you learned so far ?
Polara Pat
Tell us something.: In an effort to ease from lurker to forum member; I'm hoping that this elite gang of whistlers will help this very green player to advance to the next stage. My current stage is slightly below novice and is only permitted in the garage like the dog I am. Oh yah, not a robot.

Post by Polara Pat »

retired wrote:PP - what are you using and what have you learned so far ?
Thanks for the response.

I've learned a little and have tweaked a few whistles with generally good results by using the standard tricks. Filling the rear cavity with putty, filing burrs and imperfections from casting and slight mods on the ramp. What I haven't done is add this small piece of material as shown on the whistles above to shorten the windway. So I don't know what material to go with or how much to shorten it. I imagine it will be very slight. I'm using my various tweaked whistles as a template for my plans.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Perspex on the outside bits or anything thin on the inside, laminating sheets, stuff like that. Whatever works, people have been cutting up guitar picks etc.
My brain hurts

Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Polara Pat wrote:to shorten the windway
You're shortening the window rather than the windway. The windway is the channel you blow down, defined on its lower side by the block on a whistle that has one.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
retired
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by retired »

I might mention that when you do shorten the window, depending on the thickness of the material you use - you will also be changing the height relationship of the windway and the ramp https://sites.google.com/site/guidogonz ... #Favourite
Polara Pat

Post by Polara Pat »

Peter Duggan wrote:
Polara Pat wrote:to shorten the windway
You're shortening the window rather than the windway. The windway is the channel you blow down, defined on its lower side by the block on a whistle that has one.
Yes, shorten the window. My terminology is crap. I'm glad you knew what I meant. Guitar pick is an interesting idea. Those stupid things are everywhere in my shop.