Lip Radius Milling

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
raindog1970
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Lip Radius Milling

Post by raindog1970 »

I've been using a 2-1/2" diameter side milling cutter for my lip radius for seventeen years, because that's the smallest diameter available for my 7/8" Sherline arbor. From what I can gather, there's no such thing as a side milling cutter smaller than 2" diameter, so I wonder what's the best option if you'd like to cut the lip radius with a 1-1/2" diameter cut. I have never used a boring head, and I wonder if chatter would be a problem since the bit won't be in contact with anything during more than half of its revolution. I started out using a hole saw and smoothing the cut with a small drum sander, but I've really got used to the ease and precision of the side milling cutter. Anyone with more experience in machining operations care to offer any advice to an old dog looking to learn new tricks?
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Lip Radius Milling

Post by chas »

I use a standard 1/2" end mill and cut several spots along an arc, then finish with a sanding drum.

Probably a lot more labor intensive than you're looking for. . .
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
an seanduine

Re: Lip Radius Milling

Post by an seanduine »

Are you asking about cutting the radius of the beak cut-out? When I made wooden whistles, I used a bench mounted belt sander with a 36 grit belt to free-hand 'hog' the profile. The upper drum of the sander was approximately 1-3/4 to 2 inches diameter.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi